2 colossal solar flares explode from the sun and Earth is in the firing line (video)

May 3, 2024
Visit site
I am unclear about the statement that solar flares travel at the speed of light. I get that the light from them does, but the high energy charged particles do not, and they are the more important factor in terms of terrestrial impacts. It would make more sense to me if it said the light arrives at the speed of light (about 8 min travel time) and the high energy particles travel almost as fast arriving some minutes later. Pedantic perhaps, but worth the clarification, I think, because of the important underlying principle that particles with rest mass cannot travel at the speed of light!

The solar flare emits X-rays that arrive in 8 minutes and ionize the upper atmosphere, degrade radio communications, and heat and raise the atmosphere. Some solar flares are accompanied by coronal mass ejections which are basically protons and electrons. They take 2-3 days to get here. Their charge will mess with the Earth's magnetic field, causing surges in the power grid. The particles create auroras and endanger astronauts.

Latest posts