Warp drives' may actually be possible someday, new study suggests

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Yes, there are things we don't understand but don't hold your breath on that "c" thing.
A horizon is a horizon, is a horizon, is a constant of horizon. You don't travel around in light, you travel around in geometric scalar soliton wave-bubble space(s) and time(s). The constant of the speed of light is irrelevant when closing in (when narrowing) the gridlines of SPACETIME. We do it all the time, just not big time, yet!

Last edited:

MasterOgon

Sci fi space cyberpunk artist
Jan 29, 2020
www.masterogon.art
I got the same thing in a water analog warp drive model where I used a vibrating boat. It seemed to squeeze through the water, compressing it in front and expanding it behind in the form of waves of different lengths. In my simple mechanical model, mass growth was also necessary and it was created due to the acceleration of the pendulum, and the hydrodynamic body interacted with the water. But how can this be done in space in practice, and not in theory using coordinate systems? What method of physical interaction is needed for this?
IMG_20210808_121039_721.jpg

All "warp" drives achieve their goal through the warping of spacetime. We already know how to do it, but the mechanics are far beyond our technology. In order to create a compression of space one must simply place a lot of mass, energy or charge near that area. The best candidate is a black hole but they can't be touched, they can only be drawn towards by gravity, attracted or repelled by charge. That's where the difficulty comes in.

MasterOgon

Sci fi space cyberpunk artist
Jan 29, 2020
www.masterogon.art
Yes, but I can't imagine how it can be used. The mass will bend space in all directions and for this to lead to the movement of the ship, the mass must be in front of it. And at the same time, some kind of force must move the mass so that the gravity well is always in front of the ship. Is this similar to moving a magnet with a stick or am I missing something?

Repeating:

This paper acknowledges the problem of accelerating and decelerating a "warp drive" craft. It suggests "focusing gravity emissions" as a conceptual solution. That is not the same as hauling a black hole around. It would require us to prove the existence of "gravitons" as the 'force carriers" of gravity and discover some way to create and emit them in a focused manner that is divorced from black holes created by extreme concentrations of mass. It is a concept that hinges on hypotheses about gravity that we have not proven, much less learned to control.

So, yes, I am not holding my breath waiting for such a "breakthrough".

But, I am also not calling it "impossible". With our most accepted theory of the universe telling us that we don't understand 95% of its contents, I accept that there are a lot of potentially useful things yet to be discovered.

Reactions: MasterOgon
May 10, 2024
Visit site
We’ve been launching stuff beyond Earth’s atmosphere for 67 years now and haven’t gotten beyond 0.064c thus far. This warp thing is still only one team’s theory. It’ll likely be generations before we get even a subatomic particle into this warp speed thing, if ever. If it ever does become practical, it could be used to send small probes to local stars in a reasonable timeline. Anything manned will not likely be practical. The article doesn’t mention if warp drive actually negates relativistic effects.
Isn't the whole point that it is the warp that is actually moving and not the ship? The warp is not bound by the speed limit, and the ship is not moving so no relativistic effects are experienced.

Isn't the whole point that it is the warp that is actually moving and not the ship? The warp is not bound by the speed limit, and the ship is not moving so no relativistic effects are experienced.
No, the ship is moving and it isn't. Meaning, the ship's driving in a constant of acceleration creates the soliton wave to begin with. Then as the wave builds (shrinking space ahead, narrowing time zones ahead, squeezing gravity's gridlines, before the ship) the ship will grow in 'surfing', in easier riding, its own creation of the soliton (warp bubble) wave. Think of the accelerating expansion of the universe being locally caught up to and reversed to a localized accelerating contraction of the local universe. The power surf, the easier and every easier ride because the soliton (warp bubble) wave created, is doing more and ever more of the work . . . thus the ship needs less energy instead of more to keep accelerating (to keep riding the surf in the shrunken local distances of the universe ahead).

I write and keep seeing an aircraft powering to reach altitude, then having reached cruising altitude and velocity pulling back on power, easing up on acceleration somewhat, so to cruise . . . so to surf a wave. So it will be with constant power created soliton waves dealing in gravity's flexible gridlines narrowing light's coordinate points past-future time zones of SPACETIME.

Jan 28, 2023
Visit site
It would be very strange if we mastered warp right after the chemical rocket engines and there was nothing in between. Its will probably never come true in reality.

It would be very strange if we mastered warp right after the chemical rocket engines and there was nothing in between. Its will probably never come true in reality.
It would be miracle to skip levels of steps, but miracles have been known to happen. We will still need the steps (such as in-space colonization) to be taken, though, for other very important, imperative, local closer to home, Solar Systemic expansionist reasons.