25 years after its discovery, dark energy remains frustratingly elusive

I'll give you my opinion:

The Universe is already "ripped apart" into infinities; countless horizon universes (universe horizons), galaxies, stars, "many worlds", many dimensions, and so on.... Already "ripped apart"! As Arnie and Hawking were wont to say, "No problemo!"

1) White Hole (E=MC^2)
2) Black Hole (M=E/C^2)

An interesting close to the space.com article.

"They reported good news and bad news. When they combined all dark energy probes, the possibility that we live in a phantom universe diminished. That means our cosmos will not tear itself apart anytime soon. But their results are also entirely consistent with a plain cosmological constant. Cosmologists would love to find literally anything other than a cosmological constant, even a phantom value. The reason for this is that, while the cosmological constant solution technically solves the problem of dark energy (by stating that it simply exists), it doesn't offer any deeper insights into the workings of nature. A cosmological constant does not explain its own existence or cause, so it only moves the goal posts. The puzzle of dark energy represents one of the greatest mysteries in modern science. Even if it's simply due to a fact of nature, then we have a new mystery: Why does the universe have this property, with this acceleration rate, and nothing else? For the time being, the only thing we can do is prepare future surveys, like the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope, and hope that some new observation will reveal something interesting."

My observation. The cosmological constant is a thorn in the side for the expanding universe model and has a long history of struggling over it in FLRW GR metric.

The Cosmological Constant Is Physics’ Most Embarrassing Problem, https://www.scientificamerican.com/...onstant-is-physics-most-embarrassing-problem/

“…The problem with vacuum energy is that there's not enough of it. When scientists first started thinking about the concept, they calculated that this energy should be huge—it should have expanded the universe so forcefully and quickly that no stars and galaxies ever formed. Because that is clearly not the case, the vacuum energy in the universe must be very small—about 120 orders of magnitude smaller than what quantum theory predicts. That's like saying that something weighing five pounds should really weigh five-with-120-extra-zeros-after-it pounds. The discrepancy has prompted some scientists to call vacuum energy “the worst theoretical prediction in the history of physics.” “Vacuum energy is thought to be the main ingredient in the “cosmological constant,” a mathematical term in the equations of general relativity..."

The wrong value(s) for the cosmological constant in GR math for expanding universe, you can expand so fast nothing will form or collapse into a singularity :) There is clearly a fine-tuning problem in origin science teaching in cosmology.

Horizon universe (universe horizon).

A horizon universe (+1) and for each and every horizon universe (+1) a parallel equal but opposite horizon universe (-1). And the trojan third horizon universe (0) is...???? Can you guess?

25 yrs. doesn't mean anything, time's relative, right? After declaring time and space are taffy, they still can't explain this. What a gig. I just love that term vacuum energy. And zero point energy. And the quantum foam. Whence all things come. But the best one is spacetime won't allow the measurement of spacetime. Perfect.

This intellect has always stupefied me. Makes me mumble. And requires self medication.

Aug 24, 2023
Visit site
Due to hydrogen's spherically symmetrical electron shell hydrogen atoms repel each other at distances large compared to atomic radius. It's a 6th order effect. When the main constituent of the universe repels itself then the universe expands. Dark energy is an inherent characteristic of hydrogen. Have been trying to get a paper on this published for some time.

Reactions: Atlan0001
Due to hydrogen's spherically symmetrical electron shell hydrogen atoms repel each other at distances large compared to atomic radius. It's a 6th order effect. When the main constituent of the universe repels itself then the universe expands. Dark energy is an inherent characteristic of hydrogen. Have been trying to get a paper on this published for some time.
I have no knowledge of what you said but the possibility was still agreeable. Keep going forward with it until it proves or proves wrong. Good!

Aug 24, 2023
Visit site
An accidental discovery I finally understood about 5 years ago turned into an evolving paper.
The link to the most-up-to-date paper:
https://www.academia.edu/103744135/File_220325_Dark_Energy_Intrinsic_to_Atomic_Hydrogen_pdf
Would love to know if the paper is valid. I have had a number of physicists look at it casually. About half of them have said something like: “That can’t be right, - it’s not quantum-mechanical enough”. The other half claimed to not understand it. Any feedback much appreciated.

From the paper:
"At standard atmospheric conditions the pressure due to the calculated repulsion is too small to be measured independently since it is more than 4 orders of magnitude smaller than atmospheric pressure."

That is 1/10,000 of atmospheric pressure, a column of air 3 meters tall. Easily measurable.

Aug 24, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! Guess that was perhaps too sweeping a statement? The intent was to say, in effect, that the hydrogen self-pressure would be difficult to see against normal sea-level measurements. . The 6Pa self-pressure is for the atomic spacing at STP of 100kPa. At lower ambient pressures atomic spacing increases and the self-pressure drops with a 6th order dependence on distance, so I can’t think of any clear way to measure or notice the self-pressure independently against that background. Putting it another way (and making the huge assumption that my analysis is correct), if the self-pressure were easy to notice someone would have done so already.

Another consideration is that my estimate of hydrogen self-pressure is for atomic hydrogen HI, while (I think) pretty much all terrestrial work with hydrogen is with molecular hydrogen H2. Have a vague memory that atomic hydrogen is difficult to work with? I do suspect that H2 also self-repels, with its tendency to leave the atmosphere being supporting evidence. That self-repulsion is more difficult to calculate.

I’m not familiar with pressure measurement as related to an air column. I know that small pressure changes like the difference in air pressure between say a floor and a desk top can be measured. Is that the kind of air column you’re talking about?

I have an aircraft altimiter that can show a difference by walking up a flight of stairs in my house.

Scientific papers are held to a high standard of correctness. There is no room for broad sweeping statements unless they can back them up with data.

When a scientist picks up a paper, they will read it until it contains an error, then stop. Fix your error and try again.

Aug 24, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for the prod! You’ve helped me identify some muddy wording, and I will fix it.

What is missing is clarity. Actually it is not fundamentally wrong because the hydrogen self-pressure is due to the atomic spacing produced by the 100kPa pressure. The 6Pa self-pressure cannot be measured separately because it is part of the overall pressure. That is what is poorly communicated.

Will follow-up with a link to the updated document.

Latest posts