32,000 mph fireball spotted soaring over North Carolina

Interesting report and video. "Newly released footage shows a spectacular fireball blazing at 32,000 mph (51,500 kph) across the skies above North Carolina on Friday evening (Sept. 24), the American Meteor Society (AMS) reported. More than 80 people spotted the fireball, which NASA said was just one of five such meteors reported soaring over the United States that evening. The fiery meteor "skimmed the coast of North Carolina, becoming visible 48 miles [77 kilometers] above the ocean off Camp Lejeune," at around 7:40 p.m. ET, NASA said."

That evening on the 24th I was out stargazing using my telescopes. [Observed 1930-2200 EDT/2330 UT-0200 UT. Waning gibbous Moon rise 2103 EDT in Aries tonight. I could see portions of the Milky Way running from Cygnus through Sagittarius tonight, especially after 2030 EDT. I used Delphinus to test limiting magnitude, about 5.5 or so. In Delphinus, I could see Eta Delphini at 5.37 and Iota Delphini at 5.40 apparent magnitude. About 2115 EDT, I observed a meteor streak SE near Aquarius, about 2nd magnitude I estimate. A 5th magnitude polar orbiting satellite passed heading SSE/S direction."] I was viewing Neptune, Jupiter, and Saturn using my telescopes and noticed a bright meteor streak away from Aquarius area. Perhaps this was one of the other five meteors reported in this article :)

Reactions: Catastrophe

Latest posts