3D t.v's will be released by mid-2010. & which SciFi movies?

• Thread starter FictionBecomesFact
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FictionBecomesFact

3D t.v.s will be released by mid-2010:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0922582320100309

:)

Which SciFi movies will likely be 3D-compatible soon? Sony & Samsung, etc. may even subsidize such adapting to drive demand for their t.v.'s.

:? Hopefully 3D t.v.'s are forgiving of users' moving their heads slightly? I've heard one person report that big movie screens blur stuff much less during viewers' moving, than smaller screens do.

C

Cosmicvoid

FictionBecomesFact":2r5k4g1r said:
3D t.v.s will be released by mid-2010:
Actually, 3D "ready" TVs have been around for a couple of years (I have one thats about a year old). They are from Mitsubishi and Samsung, perhaps other brands, I'm not sure.

I could watch 3D right now, if I cared to get:
1) a PC (dual core cpu or better) with a highend video card (1080p capable) and DVI or HDMI output ($600+ ??)
2) some IR type 3D shutter (LCD shutter) glasses ($$60 ea)
3) a software package that takes 3D image files and formats them to fit the TVs 3D requirements ($50)

I hear Mits will be selling a converter box this spring, that will also work on Samsungs, to convert various 3D file formats to the DLP format that the Mits and Sammys use (approx $100). There is much discussion about this on the AVS forums, particularly since the release of Avatar.

Unfortunately, there is very little 3D material available just now.

S

StarRider1701

The Science Fiction shows will likely be in greatest demand, IMO. Got the best FX, right?

I'd love to see Alien and Aliens in 3D.

Not to mention almost ANYTHING Star Trek..!
The Federation - Dominion War.
Any Borg encounter.
The Doomsday Machine.

Or Babylon 5.

Or... heck I'm on sensory overload now!!!

M

Mee_n_Mac

StarRider1701":2m8oxq0b said:
The Science Fiction shows will likely be in greatest demand, IMO. Got the best FX, right?

I'd love to see Alien and Aliens in 3D.

Not to mention almost ANYTHING Star Trek..!
The Federation - Dominion War.
Any Borg encounter.
The Doomsday Machine.

Or Babylon 5.

Or... heck I'm on sensory overload now!!!

From what I've heard the process someone developed to take 2D material and make pseudo-3D out of it ain't so good. So given that and the SyFy channel's penchant for displaying the lowest common denominator crap, I suspect your prediction will come true. :?

I hope that the 3D PTB decide on a common standard (or adopt the BR one). It's not going to help anyone that their supposed 3D TV only works with their BR player and won't recognize 3D signals from their PC or set-top box.

O

onesmallstep

This will go nowhere as long as viewers are still required to wear those goofy, uncomfortable glasses to watch tv. It's tough enough to keep up with the remote, let alone special 3D glasses...now where did I put those damn glasses???....It's a fad at best.

:geek: :geek: :geek: :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts