6 mysterious structures hidden beneath the Greenland ice sheet

The space.com report says, "Hundreds of thousands or millions of years ago, before Greenland was covered with ice, it was home to a lake the size of Rhode Island and Delaware combined."

That is interesting here when viewed from the star formation rate in astronomy. The star formation rate for the Milky Way galaxy is about 10 new stars/year, Croswell, K. The Alchemy of the Heavens 1995, p. 3

In one million years, the Milky Way galaxy is assumed to create about 10 million new stars. Another report shows the new star formation rate within 200 pc of the Sun is about 1.5 x 10^-4 solar mass per year, source October 2021, https://ui.adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2021MNRAS.506.5681D/abstract, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2107.01844.pdf

In one million years, that works out to be about 150 solar masses of new stars that formed near the solar neighborhood. Shining a spotlight of astronomy on the geology time scale used in this report :)

Reference my post #3 and astronomical changes needed for the time period used in geology to explain the ice and what lies below. The Moon's orbit is dynamic and would change by some 38 km closer to Earth using one million years, perhaps more (and so too Earth's length of day). The SAROS cycle changes. The lunar and solar eclipses change and are different than the past 3,000 years of recorded history from Babylon and Assyria. Astronomical changes demonstrate that the time scale could contain some problems :) Confirming such astronomical changes took place is very challenging. If the astronomical changes did not take place, including the new stars formed, the time scale has some issues. A much younger age points to catastrophism at Greenland and not Charles Lyell's, slow, gradual, uniformitarian thinking :)

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
I could never understand why catastrophism and uniformitarianism could not co-exist.

Your car can be running smoothly along the road, then a front tyre blows, and you hit oncoming traffic. Perhaps they were used to horse-drawn carriages when they fought over the difference.

Cat :)

Reactions: sam85geo
If I could accurately gauge/guess/estimate just when the Greenland colonization/industrialization might start, I would be making investments with every available dollar. However, with my economic luck, by then only the UN will be issuing all of the world's currency, and the dollar will be used in my fish market for wrapping those tiny fish that come from around Greenland and for patriotic wallpaper.

Reactions: Catastrophe

Latest posts