6-Person Station Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PJay_A

<p>QUESTION:</p><p>&nbsp;According to NASA's latest ISS assembly manifest, a shuttle logistics flight is planned that will deliver payload racks for additional crew quarter, bringing ISS' crew capacity to six. My question is - without a habitation module, where will these racks install to? I'm guessing the options could be Nodes 2 or 3, the U.S. Lab module, or in the new Russian module. </p>

T

ThereIWas2

The sleeping quarters for one person fit into any standard ISS equipment rack bay space.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think these are located everywhere except in the older Russian modules, whose design predates such standards. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><span class="postbody"><span style="font-style:italic"><br /></span></span></p> </div>

Z

Zipi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>The sleeping quarters for one person fit into any standard ISS equipment rack bay space.&nbsp;&nbsp; I think these are located everywhere except in the older Russian modules, whose design predates such standards. <br />Posted by ThereIWas2</DIV></p><p>Racks won't fit through Russian hatches, so they can be only installed to the american side.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

PJay_A

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Racks won't fit through Russian hatches, so they can be only installed to the american side. <br /> Posted by Zipi</DIV></p><p>So, does this include the Japanese modules? With so much Japanese space, I would think it would be wise (on their - the Japanese) - part) to install a hab rack in the Japanese ISS section to guarantee theirselves a permanent ISS presense!&nbsp;</p>

T

ThereIWas2

I am pretty sure that everything <em>except</em> the Russian segments are built to the same specs.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><span class="postbody"><span style="font-style:italic"><br /></span></span></p> </div>

C

Cygnus_2112

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>QUESTION:&nbsp;According to NASA's latest ISS assembly manifest, a shuttle logistics flight is planned that will deliver payload racks for additional crew quarter, bringing ISS' crew capacity to six. My question is - without a habitation module, where will these racks install to? I'm guessing the options could be Nodes 2 or 3, the U.S. Lab module, or in the new Russian module. <br /> Posted by PJay_A</DIV></p><p>They are going into Node 2.</p><p>&nbsp;ESA and JAXA are not supplying crew quarters </p>

Z

Zipi

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So, does this include the Japanese modules? With so much Japanese space, I would think it would be wise (on their - the Japanese) - part) to install a hab rack in the Japanese ISS section to guarantee theirselves a permanent ISS presense!&nbsp; <br />Posted by PJay_A</DIV><br /><br />All "american side" modules like Columbus and Kibo as well&nbsp;are using the same Common Berthing Mechanism (CBM), so their hatches are equal and the racks can go through them. Only the Russian modules are using smaller hatches. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

J

JonClarke

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>All "american side" modules like Columbus and Kibo as well&nbsp;are using the same Common Berthing Mechanism (CBM), so their hatches are equal and the racks can go through them. Only the Russian modules are using smaller hatches. <br />Posted by Zipi</DIV></p><p>And of course the ATV<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Whether we become a multi-planet species with unlimited horizons, or are forever confined to Earth will be decided in the twenty-first century amid the vast plains, rugged canyons and lofty mountains of Mars</em>  Arthur Clarke</p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS