6 reasons why the 2024 total solar eclipse could be the best eclipse for hundreds of years

Sep 19, 2020
Visit site
I looked over the weather data for April 8th all over the eclipse path. The average probably of clear skies over the entire eclipse path in the USA is about 50%. Which means that there's a good chance that millions of people will be disappointed. We might get lucky and have clear skies all across the US. Or we might be unlucky and get nothing. I was clouded out of the 1966 great Leonid meteor storm, the most magnificent one in the last 100 years. I've been clouded out of quite a few important events. I've also managed to see some astounding events. But I warn readers: if you go to watch this eclipse, be prepared for the possibility of being clouded out.

Reactions: Helio and billslugg
Regarding the 3rd point, which is the magnitude (coverage of Moon over Sun)....

The Moon will be unusually close to perigee during the eclipse. Perigee at 18:00 UT on Apr. 8th.

The observer's distance (on the surface) will be 358,904 km., so the Moon's apparent size will be quite large -- 33.9 arcmin. The minimum size is 29.9 arcmin at a distance of 405,647 km. (apogee). [Moon images are to scale.]

Mar 8, 2024
Visit site
I wish Y'all would do more research before posting things like saying that "This Eclipse is the most urban in history.....with 10 Million people seeing it..." or whatever. There are literally 10 Million people JUST IN TEXAS in the path of totality. Not to mention all the other states, and Canada, and Mexico. I highly suggest you get correct numbers and update this.

Here's an updated "Things to See During an Eclipse".

I read that Shadow Banding is due to the effect of turbulence on the more narrow beams of sunlight just before and after totality. [I still wonder if lunar mountains don't also play a role. Anyone know?]

Latest posts