9:30 pm (PDT) (12:30 EDT) forum slows to a craaaaaaawwwl....

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterComposter

What happens every night at about 9:30 pm Pacific time that slows the forum down to a crawl?

Usually if I click "view my posts" or do any other kind of search, it comes up in less than a minute (usually within seconds). But I have noticed that at about 9:30 Pacific time, suddenly it can take forever, maybe a half hour, maybe more. I just give up and close the tab.

The other thing that happens is if I am in the middle of a post, and I click "Submit," it appears that nothing has happened (maybe a prgress bar shows, maybe not). Even if a progress bar appears, it never gets to the point where it displays the mesage about the post being successfully submitted. A few times I have clicked a second or third time, eventually give up and close the browser, and the next day there will be multiple duplicate posts in the thread.

Is there some kind of site maintenance scheduled at that time? If so, is there a way to do it at some other time? How long does it take? That is usually just about when other family members go to bed and I have an hour or so to myself to post, but when the site is that slow, I don't bother with it.

M

MeteorWayne

Re: 9:30 pm forum slows to a craaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwl....

From reports I've seen (I'm usually not online then) that appears to be the time of a great slowdown. I notice the next day there are a lot of double and triple posts at that time as people click,cick,click as well. It is likely some kind of maintainance issue...in fact there is another thread about this...I might merge this post into the other one to keep the subject tidy. IIRC, dh hasn't found anything out yet, but the evidence is pretty stark.

M

MasterComposter

MeteorWayne":19hunb77 said:
From reports I've seen (I'm usually not online then) that appears to be the time of a great slowdown. I notice the next day there are a lot of double and triple posts at that time as people click,cick,click as well. It is likely some kind of maintainance issue...in fact there is another thread about this...I might merge this post into the other one to keep the subject tidy. IIRC, dh hasn't found anything out yet, but the evidence is pretty stark.

I did not know of the other thread. Feel free to mind-meld the two....

C

CommonMan

And if you have dail up, like me, it really comes to a stop. I thought it was just me. I live in the country and dsl is not available yet here, I could get satelite but can not afford it right now, so I'm stuck.

M

MeteorWayne

Hope you don't mind, I edited the thread title to add time zones to indicate it's the same problem previously discussed. Could help us find the source of the slowdown.

I had to take out a few aaa's and www's to get it to fit :)

Wayne

A

a_lost_packet_

In my experience, the forums have been slowing down to a crawl every morning (night, for those who use the presence of sunlight to differentiate the two) around 12:00 am to about 12:30 am.

I'd assume, because of the regularity, it's some internal maintenance process with either SDC's local server or their host's. It's dependable and regular so can easily be observed. Login just before 12am and wait a few mins - It will occur with the same regularity as that damn bird has that wakes me up every morning at 5:30 am... /grrrr

M

MeteorWayne

a_lost_packet_":2ouuw42f said:
In my experience, the forums have been slowing down to a crawl every morning (night, for those who use the presence of sunlight to differentiate the two) around 12:00 am to about 12:30 am.

I'd assume, because of the regularity, it's some internal maintenance process with either SDC's local server or their host's. It's dependable and regular so can easily be observed. Login just before 12am and wait a few mins - It will occur with the same regularity as that damn bird has that wakes me up every morning at 5:30 am... /grrrr

Well the good news is that the sun is rising later every day, so the bird soon will be tweeting at a more respectable hour :)

A

a_lost_packet_

MeteorWayne":171oyd8p said:
...Well the good news is that the sun is rising later every day, so the bird soon will be tweeting at a more respectable hour :)

One day, he's going to be tweeting away in heaven...

That little bastage better hope I don't find where he's been roosting when he starts his early morning opera performance. If it's in my yard, he's going to have to tweet while dodging a few loads of buckshot. Of course, that means I have would have to stay up, waiting patiently, for his little feathered butt to show himself.. Easier said than done. But, one of these days... one of these days.... POW!
Elmer_Fudd_A_Wild_Hare.jpg

D

doublehelix

Hi guys, I've sent an email to a few people that might be in the know. I'll report back with info when I get it. Sorry the slowdown is such a pain.

-dh

M

MasterComposter

MeteorWayne":cbz3piha said:
Hope you don't mind, I edited the thread title to add time zones to indicate it's the same problem previously discussed. Could help us find the source of the slowdown.

I had to take out a few aaa's and www's to get it to fit :)

Wayne

Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwww! Not my aaaaaaaa's and wwwwwwwww's!

M

MeteorWayne

It's OK, I have plenty to spare. After all, I'm one of the Wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanes :)

Just grab a few to resupply.

R

R1

Another thread is jim48's hate SDC thread.
They could all be combined.

I have already posted the solution to simply calm down and avoid such window, which occurs at
approximately 12:30 am eastern time.

It only lasts about 30 minutes, and otherwise everything is fine. Simply do not post or attempt serious
SDC activity during that half of an hour. SDC works fine, I already know the time when the processors get too busy,
and I'm able to wait until around 1 am eastern time to resume SDC activity.

In other words, if you know which half hour it is for your particular world time-zone, you should have no
further problems because you already know it's a routine thing at about the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts