9:45pm Saturday Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cassini12

<p>I was outside Saturday Night at about 9:30-9:45pm&nbsp; looking for the envisat, and all of a sudden this VERY bright, VERY FAST object shot across the front of my house. This was the fastest object i have ever seen in the sky, it looked to be WAY faster than even any shooting star i have ever seen. </p><p>What was this object? anyoone have any ideas? it was in and out of sight all in about 2seconds..it was awsome though..</p>

D

derekmcd

<p>Try this site to check if it was an iridium flare.</p><p>http://www.heavens-above.com/</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div> </div><br /><div><span style="color:#0000ff" class="Apple-style-span">"If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." - Homer Simpson</span></div> </div>

C

crazyeddie

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was outside Saturday Night at about 9:30-9:45pm&nbsp; looking for the envisat, and all of a sudden this VERY bright, VERY FAST object shot across the front of my house. This was the fastest object i have ever seen in the sky, it looked to be WAY faster than even any shooting star i have ever seen. What was this object? anyoone have any ideas? it was in and out of sight all in about 2seconds..it was awsome though.. <br /> Posted by Cassini12</DIV></p><p>Actually, 2 seconds sounds about right for a shooting star....maybe even a bit leisurely. &nbsp;I've seen many that last less than a second. &nbsp;How fast they last depends on the speed they are moving when they are striking the Earth's atmosphere. &nbsp;The minimum speed is 11 km per second, and the fastest are up to 73 kps. &nbsp;The Geminids are known to be slower, and the Leonids much faster. Sporadic meteors, which is what you usually see before midnight, are typically not the fastest, since the Earth is not running into them head-on.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I was outside Saturday Night at about 9:30-9:45pm&nbsp; looking for the envisat, and all of a sudden this VERY bright, VERY FAST object shot across the front of my house. This was the fastest object i have ever seen in the sky, it looked to be WAY faster than even any shooting star i have ever seen. What was this object? anyoone have any ideas? it was in and out of sight all in about 2seconds..it was awsome though.. <br />Posted by Cassini12</DIV><br /><br />Sounds like a meteor to me.</p><p>The fastest meteors (Leonids, Orionids) can cover the your field of view in well less than a second, most meteors at that speed last&nbsp;much less than a second. Slow meteors can last&nbsp; a few seconds.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

T

TahaSiddiqui

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Sounds like a meteor to me.The fastest meteors (Leonids, Orionids) can cover the your field of view in well less than a second, most meteors at that speed last&nbsp;much less than a second. Slow meteors can last&nbsp; a few seconds. <br />Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV><br /><br />Yeah, I remember when I was watching the 2007 Leonids you would only a glimse from the corner of your eyes. Even when a friend and I just sat down looking up in one spot, we saw them right where we were looking but it was so fast it seemed so unreal.

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Yeah, I remember when I was watching the 2007 Leonids you would only a glimse from the corner of your eyes. Even when a friend and I just sat down looking up in one spot, we saw them right where we were looking but it was so fast it seemed so unreal. <br />Posted by TahaSiddiqui</DIV><br /><br />Yes the Leonids are the fastest annual shower meteors since they hit us alomost perfectly head on traveling the opposite direction around the sun from the earth. So our 30 km/sec is added to their 40 km/sec, with a little boost from the earth's gravity leading to a speed of 71 km/sec (44 miles/sec or 159,000 mph) when they hit the atmosphere. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts