A dark day for lunar science:' Scientists shocked as NASA cancels VIPER moon rover

Jan 19, 2020
Visit site
What are the odds that SpaceX steps up and pays $1 for the VIPER (since it is already built and only needing final tests) and launched it themselves on a Falcon 9 that has come near the end of its life ? Seems to me to be a garage sale "what a deal" !

Reactions: Classical Motion
Jan 9, 2020
Visit site
Cancelling a 450 million dollar project is small compared to Artemis, which is a 3-4 billion per-launch boondoggle. I am all for science and I have worked in technology for 40 years, but we need to be wise with our financial resources. When this project began in the early oughts, the world was a different place. We are 20 years along and the world and circumstances have changed a lot. I am keenly waiting to see a headline on the cancellation of Artemis after NASA has spend over 12 billion since the start of that 20 year project. Our national purses do not have unlimited financial reserves for all the projects the scientists have on their wishlist. When we go to the supermarket we usually have a list and a budget in mind. NASA leadership appears to be following that approach. Of course, if the politicians get involved, they'[ll want more pork for their districts so they garner the votes to get reelected into office and the cycle will continue. It's too bad we don't have a genie on had that can deliver us anything we desire (deliberate facetiousness). Cheers.

Well, for comparison, the estimated costs of all recent "college debt cancellation" programs is estimated to be a combined $870 billion to $1.4 trillion.

Personally, I would rather pay taxes to put U.S. astronauts back on the Moon than to pay off the debts for people who get college degrees in subjects that we apparently don't need for our new hire employees.

I am not complaining about targeted Federal scholarships for education in specific areas deemed important to the nation - I benefited from one of those myself, long ago. But, just "forgiving" debt for any bad choice degree seems like it only fosters more bad choices. And, that debt is not actually ended, it is just transferred from the people who incurred it to all taxpayers.

Compared to that, the Artemis program seems like "small potatoes", with "small" being only in the government-speak definition.

The Congressional budget priorities seem to be aimed at getting votes ahead of national interests. But, since that is what we collectively keep voting for, we can't call it "government corruption". Maybe we should call it "voter corruption"?

Apr 18, 2020
Visit site
Well, for comparison, the estimated costs of all recent "college debt cancellation" programs is estimated to be a combined $870 billion to $1.4 trillion.

Personally, I would rather pay taxes to put U.S. astronauts back on the Moon than to pay off the debts for people who get college degrees in subjects that we apparently don't need for our new hire employees.

I am not complaining about targeted Federal scholarships for education in specific areas deemed important to the nation - I benefited from one of those myself, long ago. But, just "forgiving" debt for any bad choice degree seems like it only fosters more bad choices. And, that debt is not actually ended, it is just transferred from the people who incurred it to all taxpayers.

Compared to that, the Artemis program seems like "small potatoes", with "small" being only in the government-speak definition.

The Congressional budget priorities seem to be aimed at getting votes ahead of national interests. But, since that is what we collectively keep voting for, we can't call it "government corruption". Maybe we should call it "voter corruption"?
Why do you associate student debt forgiveness with "bad choice degrees"? Do you think that only people who made "bad choices" are burdened with student debt, or are getting forgiveness?

Latest posts