A freakish death by airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CalliArcale

Most people who are killed in an airplane crash are aboard the aircraft. In some tragic circumstances, the dead are bystanders who were struck by the crashing aircraft. This one is a bit more freakish than most, in that the aircraft was without power (and therefore silent) and attempting to land where one would never expect a plane to land -- the beach. It was an emergency situation, and the pilot made the best possible choice, but his visibility was impaired by oil on the windscreen, and he probably could not see the jogger in time to veer away -- and in a gliding situation, you really only get one shot at landing anyway.

Beach jogger killed by plane likely never heard it

Sad story. Only good part is that he probably didn't suffer.

M

MeteorWayne

It should be pointed out that the runner was listening to music in his earbuds, so even if the engine was running, he might not have heard it. If he had his ears open, he would certainly have heard the rushing air. Gliders have no engines, but there's no mistaking the sound as they approach you. I would imagine that powered aircraft make even more noise, since they are designed to be powered, not slip through the air with the least resistance.

That is why when I am walking along the roads, not only do I walk on the correct side of the street (facing oncoming traffic, unlike 75% of other walkers/runners) I NEVER listen to anything in my ears so I am attuned to the environment.

If you choose to jog in Oblivion, then Brian will consume you.

N

newsartist

Very good point Wayne!

This was a freak accident, and I doubt that the headphones really played much of a part. At most, that could have been a tiny link in a big chain.

Even without wind/surf noise it is doubtful that the runner would have heard anything until it was too late to react.

I have been chased off airshow runways by airplanes, (jet and prop.) My position was known to the tower, (as briefed, and communicated.)

Idiots disregard all notices of closed airspace/runways and land without talking to anybody. (Instead of the Line Boy, the first person to greet them is the FAA Show Monitor. :) )

The point is, that world is totally visual. You do not hear them until they are right on top of you.

B

bushwhacker

This happened here in SC where i live tho of course down on the coast. I couldnt hardly belive it when i read the story.

B

bdewoody

I recently was sent a powe point slide show which included landings of airliners on carribean islands where the runways went almost to the beach. Several photos showed people on the beaches very close to the path of the airplanes.

J

jim48

"I've got a lot of issues going on right now," Smith said. "I've got a plane that's all torn up. And I've got a young man that I killed."

I sure wish I knew how to put quotes in boxes like the rest of Y'all. Anyway odd that the pilot places his wrecked aircraft ahead of the dead man on his priority list. I'm in south Florida where civilian aviation is hugely popular and we have our share of crashes as well. We've had them land on the interstate, golf courses and yes, the beach, without deaths. Truly a freak accident. My brother is a private pilot and let me tell you that there is no better way to fly! ;)

S

Shpaget

I've been telling two thing for years, but no one was listening.
1. Exercise will kill you.
2. Planes should have horns (so they can honk when passing other aircraft). :D

C

CalliArcale

jim48":3plj2e0h said:
I sure wish I knew how to put quotes in boxes like the rest of Y'all.

Press the "quote" button by the post, and you'll get a text box with the entire quoted post enclosed in the appropriate "quote" tags. ;-)

Otherwise, if you paste text in to the text box and then highlight some of it and hit "quote" (in the line of buttons right above the text box), it'll add the quote tags.

The result will look like this.

Or, type "quote" (enclosed in square brackets), add the text you want to quote, and then type "/quote" (again, enclosed in square brackets) to do it manually. If you want it to quote a specific person, the opening quote tag should look like this (inside the square brackets):

quote="jim48"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts