A new sci-fi idea - First Ark to Alpha Centauri - by A. Ahad

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tom_hobbes

Hi Mr Ahad,<br /><br />It's interesting. But one of the chief narrative problems to overcome will be the episodic nature of the story as described. It would be very difficult to realise, let alone get an audience to care about so many different characters across so many years. In my humble opinion it would need to be severely condensed.<br /><br />Why not begin the story fairly near the end of your synopsis here, much of the preceding material is only back story anyway and could be introduced painlessly enough with some light or inventive exposition. IMHO. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="2" color="#339966"> I wish I could remember<br /> But my selective memory<br /> Won't let me</font><font size="2" color="#99cc00"> </font><font size="3" color="#339966"><font size="2">- </font></font><font size="1" color="#339966">Mark Oliver Everett</font></p><p> </p> </div>

1lurker

I haven't read it all yet. Sounds interesting. I will read it. I have read several books(over the years) dealing with similiar events. I don't know how it would be played out in a movie. It would depend on how it was presented. You can get by with a lot more in a book than a movie. I like complicated book plots, but it is hard to do that with movies and have people stay interested.

E

edge_of_reason

<<<I haven't read it all yet. Sounds interesting. I will read it. I have read several books(over the years) dealing with similiar events. I don't know how it would be played out in a movie. It would depend on how it was presented. You can get by with a lot more in a book than a movie. I like complicated book plots>>><br /><br />I think his novel is coming out soon. I'll wait for that.<br /><br />Edge

L

le3119

At least you're expanding a good theme, sci-fi today needs stories like this - everything is so rehashed, I wish you all the best. I've been writing my own sci-fi, and I always like to read others' work.

L

le3119

I just finished reading your site. You have some original ideas, like these creatures that have been haunting the dreams of past generations, which now must be confronted by the new settlers. I don't think any such "Ahad Radius" could ever exist, 11500 AUs is way beyond the heliopause that seperates the Sun's realm from the interstellar medium. I'd read up on the science of the outer solar system. Also, I find it hard to believe that nearly all of humanity is dying out from diseases that we seem to have a grip on in 2005. I like the Ark design, but find a way for the ship to scoop up energy from space as it goes, so it doesn't slow down at all. Alpha Cen may have such planets, we may not notice the wobble of the stars yet, as it is a binary system. Just keep in mind, Proxima Cen is almost as dim as a brown dwarf, it would be invisible from either of the Alpha Cen systems. Okay, pretty neat. I would reccomend reading up on the sciences though, but keep at it.

L

le3119

I searched the net, and the only references to the illusive Ahad Radius are found on sites where you most likey started the posts. Anyway, the Ahad Constant is pretty interesting too....but keep going....

A

astrobuff

Ahad wrote:<br /><br />"The Sun is the most supreme source of all light and heat to the Earth and our Solar System, right? Sure thing, it's a well-known fact.<br /><br />Now, let us ask an astronomer (one of the "professionals"), how far does that supremacy extend outward into the cosmos? How far out must we go before the universe's background light becomes the most dominant source of all light and heat energy, as our own Sun dims into the surrounding darkness of the cosmic night?<br /><br />That distance can be defined by a mean radius. Whether anyone wants to call it the "Ahad radius" or the "Einstein radius" or the "Dyson radius" is not the point. The point is it exists, and the paper below was the first of its kind to postulate and quantify its existence:<br /><br />http://www.astroscience.org/abdul-ahad/firstarktoalphacentauri/interstellar.htm<br /><br />For official records, the calculation pertaining to Ahad's sphere and solar light domination radius [flux equilibrium], cosmic sky illumination, etc is published in Journal of British Astronomical Association, Vol. 115, No. 5 - October 2005 edition, page 297. On web this is on PDF doc url here---<br /><br />http://www.britastro.org/journal/pdf/115-5letters.pdf<br /><br />Note: This was a provisional estimate, where the constant was 1/500th of a full moon (-6.0 magnitudes), and the Ahad radius was 14,000 AUs. Those figs were later revised to 1/300th of a full moon (-6.5 magnitudes) and 11,500 AUs, respectively, using more accurate extrapolations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts