A Question For Wayne About SOHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/data/realtime/mpeg/

NOTICE: Due to a recent migration to a new hardware and operating system platform, we have experienced problems migrating the software and libraries that generate the MPEG movies for this page. We are working on porting the software and we hope to have a working version soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

I feel like I've lost a good friend in SOHO since they stopped publishing the 195A and 305A daily SOHO movies. I realize I can get higher resolution movies via SDO, but the download takes much longer. Do you have any idea if and when the SOHO 195A images might become available again in movie format? I used to start my morning every day with a cup of coffee and SOHO 195A movies just to see what the sun is up to. Now of course I can get more wavelengths over at SDO, but frankly they take *FOREVER* to download, especially at home where my bandwidth is more limited.

M

MeteorWayne

Actually, there's been a significant change. The EIT, which provides the 4 images, was originally supposed to only take 2 images a day. After they saw the value of it once in service, they increased the rate to every 12 minutes.

Now that the SDO provides superior resolution and takes more images faster, it has been scaled back to the original 2x per day rate.

There's a thread where we discussed that just an hour or two ago.

Here's the post discussing it:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22790&p=485275#p485275

And the full ESA release:

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object ... ctid=47703

MW

M

michaelmozina

MeteorWayne":1t3fy4tk said:
Actually, there's been a significant change. The EIT, which provides the 4 images, was originally supposed to only take 2 images a day. After they saw the value of it once in service, they increased the rate to every 12 minutes.

Now that the SDO provides superior resolution and takes more images faster, it has been scaled back to the original 2x per day rate.

There's a thread where we discussed that just an hour or two ago.

Here's the post discussing it:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=22790&p=485275#p485275

And the full ESA release:

http://sci.esa.int/science-e/www/object ... ctid=47703

MW

Hmmm. Only two images a day now eh? I guess I'll have to stop being so cheap and increase my bandwidth at home and start getting used to SDO images. :)

I think SOHO is my favorite satellite of all time. I realize it only makes sense with SDO in operation to cut SOHO's work load back to the original design specs. After more than 10 years of watching those high cadence images, it's just hard to let go I suppose. I do however understand and agree with their desire to preserve it's overall lifespan by cutting back on it's workload.

M

michaelmozina

FYI, I still think the LASCO gear out performs the COR equipment on STEREO. Does SDO even have a similar instrument as the LASCO C2 and C3 imagers?

E

EarthlingX

LASCO C2 and C3 are being shut down too ? :shock: :?

Noooooooooooo..... :cry:

M

MeteorWayne

I haven't seen anything mentioned about them.

Of course the time will eventually come...after all SOHO is like the Mars rovers. Well past it's operational lifetime, it just keeps going, and going, and going....and going.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts