A string of planets in our solar system sparkles in photos from 3 different sun probes

Catastrophe

"Science begets knowledge, opinion ignorance.
Would these *planets* pictured, look different if viewed from the night side of the Sun? :)
Not quite sure what you mean, Rod, since Earth is pictured in the middle of the string (first photo in #1 reference). Must be imagined as taken from afar. I suppose if taken from behind Sun (at left) they would all be obscured by our star? Am I missing something?

Cat :)

Last edited:
Reactions: rod

Catastrophe

Cat, is there no night side to the Sun? :)
I assumed that day and night were governed by rotation of the planets, so presenting different sides in different times, thus, since the planets have different rotation times, they have different lengths of day and night. They cannot all present the same face at the same time, except perhaps at very long intervals. There is an easy little maths problem to pass covid leisure periods.

No, I do not belong to a cult which proposes that the side of the Sun facing us is bright, the other side being dark!

Last edited:

Catastrophe

Are you going to do the calculation for us, please? I am pleading retirement in old age with my important time being given up to playing dominoes with other old men 'down the pub'. Actually, I don't like telling lies, so actually I am just re-reading my first edition copy of Space Time and Gravitation by Sir Art, or Ed as I used to call him. He kept beating me at maths in the second form. Ooops, sorry. I think that was just a nightmare. Perhaps I kept beating him, but worried about losing?

Cat, I have no plans for the math here :). That would involve the Sun as a 3D sphere with nearly uniform surface temperature all around (area of the Sun's sphere radiating similar temperature) and the Stephan-Boltzmann radiation constant and Wien displacement law constant. That is how I would approach the day vs. night side of the Sun suggestion :) When I look at the Sun using my 90-mm refractor telescope with glass white light solar filter, I see a large, 2D flat disk shape for the Sun, I generally observe at 30x to 70x views. The Sun does not look like a 3D sphere. How can you use a telescope and show the Sun is round and rotating, thus a sphere shape? Here is an example of the Sun from spaceweather.com, https://www.spaceweather.com/images2021/29jan21/hmi1898.gif

Catastrophe

Rod:
"Cat, I have no plans for the math here :). That would involve the Sun as a 3D sphere with nearly uniform surface temperature all around (area of the Sun's sphere radiating similar temperature) and the Stephan-Boltzmann radiation constant and Wien displacement law constant. "

Come on Rod. That is a load of codswallop. Sorry if that does not translate into Colonial English. The maths are quite simple. Just find the common factor. Nothing to do with magnitude and luminosity - just simple maths.

Cat, you and I are having some fun here. However, I do observe sunspots like I did 23-Jan-2021 for sunspots AR2797, AR2798, AR2799 at 1930 UT. Quality telescopes allow you to view those sunspots and if they hold together, will move across the view of the Sun, and some I tracked for about 38 days, across the Sun in about 13 days, move around in about 13 days, and then back into view crossing the Sun again :) Those sunspots show the Sun is spinning and chiefly round shape :) Better telescopes using H-alpha filters will show the sunspots as the approach the solar limb, there is wrap-up around view too. Spaceweather site shows sunspots rotating into view on the Sun before they become easily visible in my telescope. I am confident the Sun is 3D sphere with similar temperature all around its surface area, the sunspots show this :)

Cat, the 2D flat disk shape applies to the Moon when Full, Mars at opposition, Jupiter at opposition, Saturn at opposition. However, if you watch closely, you can see Mars is spinning, surface areas move across the face of view and at Jupiter, the Great Red Spot travels across the face of Jupiter quickly, in about 3-4 hours, much position change takes place. At Saturn, periodically, the planet's shadow is cast on the ring system, providing a 3D image view :) At Jupiter, the Galilean moons move around, disappear behind Jupiter, only later to reappear again, they are moving around a large, round Jupiter, not a 2D flat disk Jupiter :)

Catastrophe

Cat, the 2D flat disk shape applies to the Moon when Full, Mars at opposition, Jupiter at opposition, Saturn at opposition. However, if you watch closely, you can see Mars is spinning, surface areas move across the face of view and at Jupiter, the Great Red Spot travels across the face of Jupiter quickly, in about 3-4 hours, much position change takes place.

Please see:
The Sun does not look like a 3D sphere. How can you use a telescope and show the Sun is round and rotating, thus a sphere shape?

Come on. Come out! We are both covert Flat-Earthers!

Excellent Cat. I know the Flat Earth Society (FES) has been very busy in the UK for a long time now :) However Cat, if you have a good telescope with *safe solar filter*, you can take a view for yourself too and see the 2D flat disk Sun or large 2D circle shape :) When I view at 71x or about, I have a bit more than 1-degree true field of view and the Sun is close to 0.5-degree 2D flat disk or circle shape :)

Catastrophe

Excellent Cat. I know the Flat Earth Society (FES) has been very busy in the UK for a long time now :) However Cat, if you have a good telescope with *safe solar filter*, you can take a view for yourself too and see the 2D flat disk Sun or large 2D circle shape :) When I view at 71x or about, I have a bit more than 1-degree true field of view and the Sun is close to 0.5-degree 2D flat disk or circle shape :)
We both know that what you see through your telescopes is a 2-dimensional representation of The Truth. Attempts to try to translate this into some 3-dimensional myth are 'for the birds' as we say here in the Old Country.

Cat, in reference to your post #15, here is a note from my stargazing log on 23-Jan when I viewed the Sun.

[Observed 1430-1530 EST/1930-2030 UT. I enjoyed views of the 3 sunspot active regions reported today at 40x and 71x views using glass white light solar filter and Celestron #12 Yellow filter. AR2797 more prominent with two easy dark core areas, plage areas. AR2798 and AR2799 was smaller. All sunspot groups today look smaller than Earth size, < 15”. A bonus was viewing the waxing gibbous Moon at 40x. The 3D spherical shape very distinct in the eyepiece FOV. The Moon clearly is a large, round body when viewing in the telescope and the albedo across the surface is different with different bright regions and levels of light reflectivity (not a uniform glow from the reflected sunlight on the Moon across its 3D shape that is spherical), nice using the #12 yellow filter too.]

TRENDING THREADS