Advice on visiting Florida from the UK for 2010 launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacejones

Hey space fans :) my first post on this fine forum.

I'm trying to book a week in Florida for the July 29th Shuttle Launch next year.

I'd like advice on anything from hotels to the best way to view a launch.

I'm trying to book it ASAP so I can guarantee access.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated. BTW - I don't plan on hitting Disney Land or any other Florida based destinations - JUST the Space Centre :D

M

MeteorWayne

Hi spacejones, welcome to Space.com!

The one thing you need to be prepared for, is that if you book now for a flight scheduled next year in July, the odds are pretty low that the launch will take place during your visit. So make sure you have some other plans. That's many launches away, and lot's of things could shift the launch date.

I'm not from Florida, so can't give you any advice on the other things you asked, just wanted to give you a reality check!

S

spacejones

MeteorWayne":276x1yqg said:
The one thing you need to be prepared for, is that if you book now for a flight scheduled next year in July, the odds are pretty low that the launch will take place during your visit. So make sure you have some other plans. That's many launches away, and lot's of things could shift the launch date.

Yeh I'm sadly aware of the consequences :cry: but I only have July available to travel next year so fingers crossed the launch will go ahead during my trip at some point.

M

MeteorWayne

OK, I understand. I wish you the best of luck, and will let the locals answer your other question.

R

RocketTony

You can search online to find some places to stay. The Hilton at Cocoa Beach looks nice, but I have not stayed there. Last time I checked, the Hilton charged $10 a day for internet, which I think is ridiculous. I stayed at Comfort Inn and Suites Cocoa Beach and really liked it (free internet). It is just a simple hotel with a nice pool (not a condo). The prices were pretty good, too, but all the hotel prices in Cocoa Beach will go up quite a bit if a launch is scheduled. Definitely try to stay close to the beach, because the beach is nice.

S

shuttle_guy

July is the middle of the summer thunder storm season and is also in the hurricane season, however I understand that you have no choice on the time of the year to come.

I suggest Titusville for the best view of a Shuttle launch. Cocoa beach is just 45 min or so away and there is a good beach available at PlayaLinda beach. (There are no life guards there. Also the north end is clothing optional.)

Good luck.

B

bdewoody

Orlando is only 30-40 minutes from Titusville so you might want to plan a visit to Disney World or Sea World as a backup to watching a shuttle launch. There are so many places to stay in central Florida that it is doubtful that all of the better hotels would be totally booked.

R

RocketTony

I don't know about Orlando, but the Cocoa Beach area hotels will fill up way ahead of time if a shuttle launch is scheduled. Believe me, I know this from recent experience. If you are going to stay at Cocoa Beach, book your room way ahead of time. The last launch I went there to see was scrubbed, but the beach was wonderful!

I work at Marshall Space Flight Center, and if you will send me your email address in a pm, I will be glad to update you on launch dates if I hear anything. I might hear it before the general public (even though I work on Ares I, and not the shuttle). If you can book your hotel before the hotels find out about a change in a launch date, you will save a bunch of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.