Advice to how to watch Solar Eclipse in US

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
As most know, here in the US many will have the chance to see a total solar eclipse on April 8th. I've looked at information about it, but I'm confused about a few things. Here's a Nasa link to where the "path" of the eclipse will be.

I'll need to drive to get into the "path" of the eclipse, but what does the "path" mean? I understand the eclipse will be something like a two hour process as the moon moves across the face of the sun but that the true blackout period will only last a few minutes. (I've mostly heard about 4 minutes). When looking at the path as shown on maps, will I get the full effect of that blackout period if I'm just inside the path band or do I really need to get to the center of it? My guess is that the closer you are to the very center of the path, the longer the blackout period will last, but that you'll still get some blackout period anywhere in the path, howebit for a shorter time period?

I'm hoping someone explain in detail and correct me if I'm wrong.

The difference in me driving to being just inside the path verses being in it's very center might be something like an hour and half, depending on the highways I take, so knowing this is important to me.

This will be my first (and likely last) total solar eclipse. I really don't know what to expect for traffic and crowds and I'm pretty worried about it. For those that have traveled to see one before (or just have the knowledge), I'm curious what to expect in terms of traveling to and from. I'm a last minute lucy, so I don't have a motel booked or anything like that. I really just plan to drive about 3 hours to a good viewing location, enjoy the eclipse, then drive home. However, I'm hearing some horror stories about the roads being jammed such that the ride home might be much longer than the ride there. Whenever I see news about the eclipse on news channels from areas in the eclipse path, they warn the locals to just view the eclipse from their home and stay off the roads. One guy, talking about an eclipse from years ago said it took him 2 hours to get to the site and 12 to get home (in bumper to bumper traffic).

You can see why I'm very interest in how deep I have to drive into that path!

Any other suggestions about not getting caught in long traffic? Would it be better to head for more rual areas rather than cities? Are resturants likely to be crowded? I was thinking about killing time after the eclispe to drive home if the roads are clogged. For those who know, how does it usually play out? Do most people leave immediately after the "blackout" period? Do most try to arrive just before and leave just after? Again, I'm just trying to gauge my driving time not unlike someone leaving the stadium early to beat the traffic.

Thanks if you can help or give me links to such information.

EDIT: IF YOU CLICK ON MAP IN THE LINK THE ABOVE (anywhere in the "pathway") it will tell you exactly how long the "duration of totality" will be for that specific location on the map.

Last edited:
The entire eclipse will take roughly 3-1/2 hours starting when the Moon first touches the solar disk to when it leaves.

But the main event is when the slightly larger lunar disk fully covers the solar disk — totality. Think of this as a large, dark circular spot traveling across the continent at a high speed (~ 1,600 mph). Since it’s about 120 miles in diameter, it will take about 4 min. to go across any one spot. Of course, the closer one is to the center of the spot the longer it will take it to pass. Those who are only half-way to the center will still experience about 3- 1/2 min, but will likely have far less traffic. Two hours of traffic from the center area is certainly possible, which was my experience in 2017.

You might check with churches in the area you’re considering since they will likely have it open for members and visitors. They are fun places and they have bathrooms!

Reactions: spaceman9123
Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
The entire eclipse will take roughly 3-1/2 hours starting when the Moon first touches the solar disk to when it leaves.

But the main event is when the slightly larger lunar disk fully covers the solar disk — totality. Think of this as a large, dark circular spot traveling across the continent at a high speed (~ 1,600 mph). Since it’s about 120 miles in diameter, it will take about 4 min. to go across any one spot. Of course, the closer one is to the center of the spot the longer it will take it to pass. Those who are only half-way to the center will still experience about 3- 1/2 min, but will likely have far less traffic. Two hours of traffic from the center area is certainly possible, which was my experience in 2017.

You might check with churches in the area you’re considering since they will likely have it open for members and visitors. They are fun places and they have bathrooms!
This is great feedback, thank you.

So when you say "half way to center" is that the same as saying about 1/4 in from the edge? I'm thinking I'd be better off in small town or public park or even just off the roadside if it's in the country enough.

To be clear, you're saying to expect and addition 2 hours of traffic to leave the area if you were viewing from the center of the "path," so to speak? Any advice for how soon to get there? Do most people arrive at the start of that 3 1/2 hours? I'm wondering how soon in the day I should leave. Based on your experience, is it fine to just drive there drive back when it's over? So many people are booking motels.

In my situation I'll be drive TO central or north eastern OHIO, coming in from the east.

If anyone else has experiences to share about traffic, crowds, and getting there, I'd love to hear it. And I'm still open links or websites providing tips or other information.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Go for the centerline. Be 100% self sufficient. Plan on car camping, feeding yourself, doing everything without assistance.
You're describing me 25 years ago when I was young and single. I've been star gazer for a while. Even built my own Newtonian telescope and I visited at least one "dark skies" location on a new moon.

But now I'm dragging along reluctant wife and kids with a shorter time window so "get in and get out" is what needs to happen. :)

The more information I can gather on what to expect the better. Good point on being self sufficient. Snacks, board games, etc. Like Hello said, it's good to be close to a bathroom. Right now my thinking is try to get there an hour before the blackout period and leave shortly after to beat the traffic.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Oh, I feel foolish! I just realized that, using the NASA link in my OP, if you click on a location on the map (in the path) it actually tells you the "duration of totality" in minutes and seconds.

Very close to 4 minutes in the center and maybe as little as 40 seconds if just a few miles inside the "path". Gotta love NASA.

The more information I can gather on what to expect the better.

Expect numerous unplanned delays. One hour of slop is not enough. I would travel with my family to the centerline in the dead of night, the night before. Set up a tent, get a fire going, watch the sunrise. Watch the eclipsel. Watch the crowds go away. Travel home when the coast is clear. I would be 100% self sufficient.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Expect numerous unplanned delays. One hour of slop is not enough. I would travel with my family to the centerline in the dead of night, the night before. Set up a tent, get a fire going, watch the sunrise. Watch the eclipsel. Watch the crowds go away. Travel home when the coast is clear. I would be 100% self sufficient.
You don't know my wife. NOT a camper. lol.

It's also not that easy to find a camp spot like that as you might think, especially in a state I'm not familiar with. Most land is private and "starting a fire" is a whole other issue. What you describe sounds like fun though.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Where do you live? You may not need to go anywhere to get a great show. I live slightly off the optimal path and should still achieve 99% coverage.
I'm at least 2 hours drive away from the edge of the "path" of the eclipse. I don't understand how you're using 99%. If you're not in the bandwidth of the path, you're not going to see the totality (blackout) at all. Why not drive for half an hour into the path and see what you probably won't be able to see again in your lifetime, even if it's only 30 seconds of "duration of totality"? NASA's link in my OP is super helpful.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm at least 2 hours drive away from the edge of the "path" of the eclipse. I don't understand how you're using 99%. If you're not in the bandwidth of the path, you're not going to see the totality (blackout) at all. Why not drive for half an hour into the path and see what you probably won't be able to see again in your lifetime, even if it's only 30 seconds of "duration of totality"? NASA's link in my OP is super helpful.
I live in St. Louis. I'll see 99% of the coverage.

While the band is the best area, it isn't the only area. I have a nephew who lives in Pittsburg, PA. He'll see approximately 97% coverage. He and his family will enjoy the excellent view (weather permitting) from home, like I will.

What if I gave you my wife's phone number? Think you could convince her to let me take her camping?
I am not allowed to talk with other guy's wives on the phone, so that would not be possible. My strategy was always to invite her along and then go anyway. This worked well in Peru in 1986 to see Halley and 7-11-91 in Baja for 6m45s totality. I did both by flying down and camping in the bush. She would not have liked either trip.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
I live in St. Louis. I'll see 99% of the coverage.

While the band is the best area, it isn't the only area. I have a nephew who lives in Pittsburg, PA. He'll see approximately 97% coverage. He and his family will enjoy the excellent view (weather permitting) from home, like I will.
Oh, so you'll be able to see phases well outside the "band" but just not the "totality" of the eclipse? Depending on where you live in St.Louis, in less than an hour drive you could be in Bloomsdale, Red Bud, or Nashville (IL) and experience about 2 minutes of the totality. Or is it more about an event hanging out with local friends?

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
I am not allowed to talk with other guy's wives on the phone, so that would not be possible. My strategy was always to invite her along and then go anyway. This worked well in Peru in 1986 to see Halley and 7-11-91 in Baja for 6m45s totality. I did both by flying down and camping in the bush. She would not have liked either trip.
What would be fun. I've heard people take vacations and plan cruises to see full solar eclipses. There's one every 18 months, but I don't suppose I'm telling this forum anything it doesn't already know.

Too bad about the phone call, but I understand. ;)

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Oh, so you'll be able to see phases well outside the "band" but just not the "totality" of the eclipse? Depending on where you live in St.Louis, in less than an hour drive you could be in Bloomsdale, Red Bud, or Nashville (IL) and experience about 2 minutes of the totality. Or is it more about an event hanging out with local friends?
The juice isn't worth the squeeze in my (or my nephew's) case. I'll likely be in my front yard, with neighbors.

This is great feedback, thank you.

So when you say "half way to center" is that the same as saying about 1/4 in from the edge? I'm thinking I'd be better off in small town or public park or even just off the roadside if it's in the country enough.
Yes, 1/4 of the diameter of the shadow.

Prepare for long traffic times, though the worst will be in the center of the path, though this varies with locations due to some spots being more convenient than others.

To be clear, you're saying to expect and addition 2 hours of traffic to leave the area if you were viewing from the center of the "path," so to speak?
Yes, but this is a general time, so some areas will have better or worse traffic flow. Those who already watched the partial eclipse for the first hour or so before totality may elect to leave right after totality and forego the ending partial eclipse period. This is when the traffic problems begin, but may be far less jammed.

Any advice for how soon to get there? Do most people arrive at the start of that 3 1/2 hours? I'm wondering how soon in the day I should leave.
If you have limited free space and lots of people you think will want to take it, go early. People from all over the country are coming to see it. Many will be stuck in traffic and simply watch it from the side of the road, but a place with a bathroom, if you can find one, is advisable.

Based on your experience, is it fine to just drive there drive back when it's over?
Yes, but if you can find something to do for a few hours after the eclipse, you should experience far less traffic.
So many people are booking motels.
Most the motels in Texas were sold out over 13 months ago. I tried but failed in Feb. of last year. But, I learned of a wedding chapel not too far from the centerline of the path, and managed to rent the place. :) We hope to host about 35 folks. There's a park across the street for overflow. We are having a dinner one hour after the eclipse is over, along with some astronomy presentations. This should make the trip back to San Antonio far faster.

In my situation I'll be drive TO central or north eastern OHIO, coming in from the east.
Google ...."xavier eclipse 2024" and you will get an interactive site that you can zoom in to find all the details of the eclipse you could imagine.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Yes, 1/4 of the diameter of the shadow.

Prepare for long traffic times, though the worst will be in the center of the path, though this varies with locations due to some spots being more convenient than others.

Yes, but this is a general time, so some areas will have better or worse traffic flow. Those who already watched the partial eclipse for the first hour or so before totality may elect to leave right after totality and forego the ending partial eclipse period. This is when the traffic problems begin, but may be far less jammed.

So, do most people leave right after the totality or is it just too hard to say? As with a football game, the worst traffic is right after the game ends, but I'm equating the end of the totality with the end of the game. Is that a fair analogy?

I know these are just subjective observations on your part, but I still appreciate them as a general guide

If you have limited free space and lots of people you think will want to take it, go early. People from all over the country are coming to see it. Many will be stuck in traffic and simply watch it from the side of the road, but a place with a bathroom, if you can find one, is advisable.

Yes, but if you can find something to do for a few hours after the eclipse, you should experience far less traffic.

Most the motels in Texas were sold out over 13 months ago. I tried but failed in Feb. of last year. But, I learned of a wedding chapel not too far from the centerline of the path, and managed to rent the place. :) We hope to host about 35 folks. There's a park across the street for overflow. We are having a dinner one hour after the eclipse is over, along with some astronomy presentations. This should make the trip back to San Antonio far faster.
This post is full of great info. Thanks.

Any opinion on city vs. country? I pan to take an interstate, but through and into country away from big or medium sized cities. I haven't decided how far into the band I need to go, but that's the plan.

Google ...."xavier eclipse 2024" and you will get an interactive site that you can zoom in to find all the details of the eclipse you could imagine.
Cool, that's even better than my NASA link in the OP because it lets you see the map in more detail, see major roads, and plan routes.

I bought "Solar Eclipse Glasses Approved 2024 (12 PACK) AAS, CE and ISO Certified, Safe Shades for Direct Sun Viewing " at Amazon. Is "ISO Certified" all I need to look for? There a lot of people selling different versions of these on Amazon.

I got my "pack" for $9.97 two days ago and I see they've already risen in price to $14.97, so the price gouging has already begun.

I remember being a kid an using the box with a pin hole technique to watch a partial eclipse. Seems like we've covered any other acceessories to bring, but let me know if you can think of anything else.

I'm actually quite happy people are so interested. As a life long star gazer, including telescope viewing, I've gotten the impression that most people don't care about the universe beyond Earth and its may mysteries. I'm encouraged by the level of curiosity. Nothing like seeing the sun blotted out for a few minutes to give us Earthlings a reality check. Well, I guess staring 13 billion years back into the night sky might also fit the bill, but ya know what I mean.

So, do most people leave right after the totality or is it just too hard to say? As with a football game, the worst traffic is right after the game ends, but I'm equating the end of the totality with the end of the game. Is that a fair analogy?
Yes, that's a fair analogy if you consider that totality is the main show. But when the losing team is too far behind to win, many leave the game to avoid the traffic and avoid the continued pain.

Another analogy would be perhaps a concert where you like the lead band but love the main band you came to watch. Then the lead band follows the main band playing the exact same songs. Is it worth hearing them again? Do you stay or do you go? [speaking of songs. ;) Jimmy Durante is better: https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...E630258617FD116FBF4AE630258617FD116&FORM=VIRE ]

I recommend "awesome force" when planning expeditions. I vowed to myself to be on the railing when the officials opened the Tall Ships on July 4, 1976 in NYC at the point of Manhattan, Battery Park. I drove my car into Manhattan about 9PM the night before, found a parking space on Wall St. Walked to Battery Park, up to the railing, laid a sleeping bag down, went to sleep. By the time it got light, crowd was forming. I stood ten feet away from Gov. Nelson Rockefeller and Mayor Abe Beam as they cut a ceremonial ribbon. There were several hundred thousand people behind me, I was top dog. Had to wait 5 hours to walk out.

Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
Yes, that's a fair analogy if you consider that totality is the main show. But when the losing team is too far behind to win, many leave the game to avoid the traffic and avoid the continued pain.
Only there's no question about the outcome of this event and I'm guessing it could be predicted at least hundreds of thousands of years in advance. ;)

So, I guess my plan is to leave extra early, find a spot somewhere, hopefully near bathroom. Then, hang out, play board games with family, then head home not too long after the totality. I was thinking about a public park, or even an rest area off the highway (on the side of the road pointed back from which I came) but I imagine those will be packed too. If I get there early I suppose I really won't know how packed it's going to be until near the totality.

Another analogy would be perhaps a concert where you like the lead band but love the main band you came to watch. Then the lead band follows the main band playing the exact same songs. Is it worth hearing them again? Do you stay or do you go? [speaking of songs. ;) Jimmy Durante is better: https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...E630258617FD116FBF4AE630258617FD116&FORM=VIRE ]
Well, if anything, I'm more a Clash guy:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN1WwnEDWAM

Really though, your post was very helpful and might be very helpful to others visiting this forum as the eclipse gets closer. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024
Visit site
I recommend "awesome force" when planning expeditions. I vowed to myself to be on the railing when the officials opened the Tall Ships on July 4, 1976 in NYC at the point of Manhattan, Battery Park. I drove my car into Manhattan about 9PM the night before, found a parking space on Wall St. Walked to Battery Park, up to the railing, laid a sleeping bag down, went to sleep. By the time it got light, crowd was forming. I stood ten feet away from Gov. Nelson Rockefeller and Mayor Abe Beam as they cut a ceremonial ribbon. There were several hundred thousand people behind me, I was top dog. Had to wait 5 hours to walk out.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrKwDpWbRjQ

Reactions: billslugg
Only there's no question about the outcome of this event and I'm guessing it could be predicted at least hundreds of thousands of years in advance. ;)

So, I guess my plan is to leave extra early, find a spot somewhere, hopefully near bathroom. Then, hang out, play board games with family, then head home not too long after the totality. I was thinking about a public park, or even an rest area off the highway (on the side of the road pointed back from which I came) but I imagine those will be packed too. If I get there early I suppose I really won't know how packed it's going to be until near the totality.
Sounds pretty good to me. But you might still want to find a church or two just in case. They will likely be welcoming guests, and won't be asking for money.

Well, if anything, I'm more a Clash guy:
Thanks. I had them in my head but didn't recall the name of their band. :)

Latest posts