Aerospace Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nathanielyork

I didn't know where to post this, so move it as necessary.<br /><br />I'm a junior in high school and I'm considering majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I'm only interested in spacecraft, space vehicle design and not aircraft, etc.<br /><br />I really don't know anything about what would happen after college. Does anyone know anything about the job market, job availibility at NASA, or just what those jobs would be like, or know where I can find more information?<br /><br />Which colleges are good, or known for aerospace? I live in central Iowa so ISU would be close and I've heard it's supposed to be good, but I've also heard there are good colleges near Cape Canaveral or Houston and I'm willing to move away from the family...really, really willing. Any tips would be great.<br /><br />Thanks.

A

alkalin

Nat,<br /><br />I’m from South Dakota, spent nearly thirty years on the farm, decided to move to Southern California and try to get a degree in general engineering. Why? I had a considerable interest in science and engineering issues and read as much as time allowed in this area, all of which helped considerably. And I did get the degree, which was the ticket.<br /><br />I since spent about thirty years in a rather exciting career in the optical engineering field, some of it on satellite work. I retired a couple of years ago, but would likely still be working if it wasn’t for a bad back and some other issues. <br /><br />What worked for me was not to specialize too much in some field that may not be available in the job market when I needed to find work. I found a general knowledge of mechanics, computers, optics, electronics, etc, would open many doors once I had established work skill. A work place is capable to put you and train you sometimes where they need you. While the degree is an important piece of paper, it is just the beginning. You just need to demonstrate interest, learning ability, and problem solving skill. <br /><br />There are a number of companies here in California that heavily supports the aerospace industry, such as Raytheon, Boeing, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, etc. I suggest get work with some company first that supports NASA, and then it may be more likely to get employed eventually with NASA, unless you can impress them with your school work. To my knowledge I do not think I have worked directly on a NASA project. The reason I say this is that various projects sometime overlap and the funding is not clear in many areas. Being able to pass the necessary personal background clearances needed is also an important issue.<br /><br />What the job situation would be like a few years from now is rather hard to predict, however. Hope this helps.<br />

H

harmonicaman

Alkalin; that was a great post!<br /><br />Just some advice:<br /><br />Take all the Math you can! Anything you can get exposed to in H.S. will be a great benefit to you later on.<br /><br />Get the hell out of town! Part of the college experience is going somewhere new and exciting - and far away!<br /><br />All good schools will have employers looking for YOU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts