Alien hunters should look for city lights from 'urbanized planets,' study suggests

An interesting approach discussed here. I note from the paper link, Searching for technosignatures in exoplanetary systems with current and future missions - ScienceDirect

"1. Introduction The detection of exoplanets with space- and ground-based telescopes has suggested that most stars in the galaxy host planets [1], [2]. A recent statistical analysis by Bryson et al. [3] examined the Kepler planet catalog and found that about half of Sun-like stars should host a terrestrial planet within the liquid water habitable zone, so that there should be about four nearby habitable terrestrial planets, on average, among the G- and K-dwarf systems within 10 pc from Earth. Similar approaches to calculating this occurrence rate have found that temperate terrestrial planets are common around M dwarf stars [4], [5], [6]. Specifically, Dressing and Charbonneau [2] found that about 1 in 6 M-dwarf systems should host an Earth-sized planet in the habitable zone. One of the goals of exoplanet science is the spectral characterization of exoplanetary atmospheres and systems, and the expected prevalence of habitable planets serves to motivate the search for spectroscopic evidence of life in such systems. While statistical estimates for the prevalence of potentially habitable planets vary significantly, most studies suggest they are numerous enough to motivate this search."

I ran my MS SQL query and found 1594 exoplanets reported for stars with mass range 0.9 Msun to 1.1 Msun, The Extrasolar Planets Encyclopaedia (exoplanet.eu)

1917 exoplanets show for this same mass range using NASA Exoplanet Archive (caltech.edu)

Narrowing the stellar mass range from 0 to 0.6 Msun, 634 exoplanets using the .eu site and this includes the TRAPPIST-1 system.

593 exoplanets show with 0 to 0.6 Msun selection using the NASA site, this includes TRAPPIST-1 system. Plenty of exoplanets to study for E.T. phoning home here :)

Latest posts