Alpha Centauri - Depature: 2070 :: Back at Home: 2087

Page 2 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spacechump

"Ok. I didn't know that mass could be relative...."<br /><br />Well its actually the total energy of the system. Relativistic mass is an old term not much used anymore. But because mass and energy are related than an increase in energy of the system could be seen as an increase in mass.

G

grooble

I read that if a crew travelled at 0.9c, they could travel anywhere in the universe and only an instant will have passed from their perspective.

L

lewcos

"A crew would have to be travelling at 99% or better of lightspeed to be able to tour the universe within their own lifespans."<br /><br />Are you saying that you age less than the amount of time in light years?<br /><br />In other words...if it took two light years to get to andromeda, wouldn't you have aged 2 years when you arrive? (assuming light speed or thereabout)<br /><br />It seems to me that you could hardly explore our galaxy with those time constrains, much less our universe?

L

lewcos

Maybe I'm just dense but how could a "10 year light journey" take any longer than 10 earth years?<br /><br />Isn't a light year simply the distance light travels in 1 earth year?

L

lewcos

Actually - I think I understand what you are saying - the distance you WOULD HAVE traveled in 10 light years would now take you 100 years to traverse at 10% the speed of light?

G

grooble

It would have made a cool trek episode if they found some capsule going 99% light speed and picked up em up, the inhabitants thinking they just left earth but 400 years have gone by!

N

nexium

There is another huge problem with exploring the visable Universe: Explore one solar system per year including average travel time; estimate one billion solar systems average per galaxy and 200 billion galaxies; Send out 200 billion space craft = 30 times the present population of Earth. It will take one billion years to make one visit each = not a thorough exploration. That is one billion years ship time = at least 4.6 billion years back home time. Our sun may be a cold "white dwarf" by then. Neil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts