Amateur Astronomer

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jamess

<p>Hi everyone,</p><p>I'm 17 years of age and I am currently learning about the wonders of astronomy. I also enjoy, like I'm sure most of you do, sitting outside and gazing at the stars (with the naked eye). I live in England, London specifically, and therefore I am limited due to light pollution, which really frustrates me. Fear not, this wont 'obstruct' my passion for astronomy, and therefore I'm willing to travel to areas with a dark sky, but I'm not sure where, are there any camping sites in England for astronomers? If so where? I will do this during the meteor shower on the 12th!<br />Im open to any 'advice' etc you can give me to do with astronomy :)</p><p>Regards,<br />James</p>

R

Ricardo_Savino

<p>Well, I don&acute;t live in england, so I can&acute;t help you with the camps, but I can tell you to buy a binocular, since you already used to gazing the stars with the naked eye.</p><p>Of course that a metoer shower is best viewed without any instrument, but you can always spot a cluster or ten between two meteors!! :)</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Its an amazing experience!!&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <strong><font color="#ff0000"><font size="3">Look up and feel small!</font></font></strong> </div>

S

silylene old

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Posted by Jamess</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Hello Jamess, welcome to these forums!</p><p>Sorry to nitpick, but could you please edit the thread title to fix the misspelling?&nbsp; It should be spelled 'amateur'.&nbsp; Thanks!<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

J

Jamess

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Hello Jamess, welcome to these forums!Sorry to nitpick, but could you please edit the thread title to fix the misspelling?&nbsp; It should be spelled 'amateur'.&nbsp; Thanks! <br />Posted by silylene</DIV><br /><br />O my, sorry, I was at work while typing that, a guy really cant multitask. Thanks for letting me know though :)</p><p>Ricardo, thanks for the advice, I already have one and I shall use it during the meteor shower. Hmm, I'm hoping someone from the UK reads this thread soon, atleast before the shower :)</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><br />Hi Jamess, welcome to Space.com.</p><p>This subject would probably be better off on the next forum down, Ask the Astronomer. We have a number of members from your area, perhaps they can help with some suggestions.</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Meteor Wayne</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

J

Jamess

<p>Hi everyone,</p><p>I'm 17 years of age and I am currently learning about the wonders of astronomy. I also enjoy, like I'm sure most of you do, sitting outside and gazing at the stars (with the naked eye). I live in England, London specifically, and therefore I am limited due to light pollution, which really frustrates me. Fear not, this wont 'obstruct' my passion for astronomy, and therefore I'm willing to travel to areas with a dark sky, but I'm not sure where, are there any camping sites in England for astronomers? If so where? I will do this during the meteor shower on the 12th!<br />Im open to any 'advice' etc you can give me to do with astronomy :)</p><p>Regards,<br />James</p>

S

silylene old

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi everyone,I'm 17 years of age and I am currently learning about the wonders of astronomy. I also enjoy, like I'm sure most of you do, sitting outside and gazing at the stars (with the naked eye). I live in England, London specifically, and therefore I am limited due to light pollution, which really frustrates me. Fear not, this wont 'obstruct' my passion for astronomy, and therefore I'm willing to travel to areas with a dark sky, but I'm not sure where, are there any camping sites in England for astronomers? If so where? I will do this during the meteor shower on the 12th!Im open to any 'advice' etc you can give me to do with astronomy :)Regards,James <br />Posted by Jamess</DIV><br /><br />Hello and welcome again Jamess.&nbsp; Could you please edit your thread title to change the spelling properly to "Amateur".&nbsp; Again, sorry for the nitpick.&nbsp; thanks! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi everyone,I'm 17 years of age and I am currently learning about the wonders of astronomy. I also enjoy, like I'm sure most of you do, sitting outside and gazing at the stars (with the naked eye). I live in England, London specifically, and therefore I am limited due to light pollution, which really frustrates me. Fear not, this wont 'obstruct' my passion for astronomy, and therefore I'm willing to travel to areas with a dark sky, but I'm not sure where, are there any camping sites in England for astronomers? If so where? I will do this during the meteor shower on the 12th!Im open to any 'advice' etc you can give me to do with astronomy :)Regards,James <br /> Posted by Jamess</DIV></p><p>Well, I can tell you that Mt. Shasta over here in California has almost no light pollution.&nbsp; On a clear night you can see the&nbsp; background light of Milky way very clearly with a naked eye.&nbsp;&nbsp; It might be a tad expensive to get here however. :)</p><p>I don't think there is anything more awe inspiring and humbling than laying on the grass, and looking up at a clear night's sky.&nbsp;&nbsp; It sort of puts things into perspective. :) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts