Ambitious new dark matter-hunting experiment delivers 1st results

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Dark matter is not matter at all it is magnetism and electromagnetic waves are invisible to us. It can be nothing else; I realize pretending to look for it pays the bills, so carry on.
Photons aren't light at all it is electromagnetic waves in the aether it can be nothing else I realize pretending to look for them pays the bills so carry on like this run-on sentence.

Dark matter is not matter at all it is magnetism and electromagnetic waves are invisible to us. It can be nothing else; I realize pretending to look for it pays the bills, so carry on.
It has been proven that dark matter has gravity. A lot of it. How do electromagnetic waves have gravity? In fact, if they had gravity it would have been proven a longtime ago. If electromagnetic waves had gravity we would see it in colliders and fusion reactors.
Tell us another story.

Reactions: Torbjorn Larsson
Apr 5, 2024
Visit site
Whenever I see the terms- dark matter, or dark energy as the explanation for something or another that they have no clue about, and are just wildly guessing...I just go back to my roots and translate= Magic!

Dark matter (as well as dark energy) - or readily visible electromagnetic radiation light [!] - is not personal opinion "guess it's magic" but well observed phenomena with lots of clues. For instance while both light and dark matter "has gravity" only the latter has intrinsic mass. That is why we call it particulate "matter".

The axion would have too small mass to be the best fit to cosmological observations, but it is possible. A more exciting search has just opened up since estimates show that neutron stars [NSs] may work as general dark matter [DM] detectors:

It was recently pointed out that old, isolated, NSs in the Solar neighborhood could be heated by DM capture [13], leading to a temperature increase of ∼ 2000 K. At ages greater than ∼ 10 Myr, isolated NSs are expected to cool to temperatures below this, provided they are not reheated by accretion of standard matter or by internal heating mechanisms [40]. Asa result, the observation of a local NS with a temperature O(1000 K) could provide stringent constraints on DM interactions. Importantly, NS temperatures in this range would result in near-infrared emission, potentially detectable by future telescopes.
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1475-7516/2024/04/006/pdf

At this point, both "dark matter" and "dark energy" are really only theoretical place holders in our theories, needed to make the theories fit the observations. Theorists have been free to assume that each does exactly what is needed to make the fits, without doing anything else that would mess-up the fits.

Experiments to detect, or if not detect, limit the range of potential parameters for dark matter and dark energy candidates have so far just made the limits somewhat tighter, without any real detections.

All we can really say at t his point is that "something" is making our observations differ from our expectations based on the physics that we understand, and use the "dark" names for those "somethings", until we actually find something - or realize that we have been missing something important in the theories.

At this point, I think we are going to need a bigger telescope.

Jan 26, 2020
Visit site
What any of this proves is that we don't understand the univers (and the likes of gravity) as well as we think we do. The fact all these experiments come up empty handed while looking for Dark Matter, says a lot. As Occams Razor goes..

Apr 8, 2024
Visit site
There are many theories and nobody knows the truth yet. A theory I like is the following:
"Gravity in space-time is like an elastic band, and a star is like a weight hung from the elastic band - The greater the weight that is hung the more stretched the elastic band. When the weight is removed the elastic band returned to its original length and shape. However if the weight hung from the elastic bank is insufficient to snap it, but greater than the elasticity limit of the elastic, then when the weight is removed the elastic does not return to its original shape. Instead it is left with a ripple. The stretch on the elastic is like the gravitational effect of the star on space-time, but with Black Holes this is different, they stretch space-time, and if space-time has an elasticity limit then it may not return to its original 'shape'. Instead space-time is left with a ripple. What is that ripple? It's a fluctuation in space-time that behaves as though there is matter present, but without there being matter present - therefore: no visible matter, no reflected particles, in fact nothing there. But still bending light from distant stars as though there is a body present."

JCD

Apr 9, 2024
Visit site
"Dark Matter" adds another onion layer of unknowing to what I already don't know. I admire those who are determined to investigate such questions. I am not sure I'm up to that level of challenge.

What they have found is mass.
Nowhere is there any demonstrable response of this mass to other mass.
Gravity is mass to mass response of matter, without which that means the source of this mass can't be from matter.

I feel confident that anywhere mass is attributed to DM one will find a black hole(s) at its center.
It is simply a secondary/additional mass curve of black holes. A thin, flat curve that extends very far out from a given black hole.

Latest posts