An Idea :idea:

• Thread starter BlackHoleAndromeda
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlackHoleAndromeda

I have an idea of how our galaxy came about. Reminder: it's jusst and idea. But here it is:

Our galaxy was formed by a large star gone supernova. The gas cloud contained millions of tons of space debris and one area of that debris became our solar system.(Using my knowledge) the black hole that came about from that massive explosion was what created the other stars in the galaxy.

So, what do you think :?:

B

BurgerB75

Interesting but as far as I know even population III stars couldn't be large enough to account for a galaxy's worth of mass. That and you are off by quite a bit concerning the amount of mass in our galaxy. Our galaxy contains between 200 and 400 million stars. They mass quite a bit more than "millions of tons".

In fact, the largest star that I know of, WR102ka (Peony Nebula Star) is "only" 175 solar masses or about 1/1,000,000th the mass of the galaxy.

B

BlackHoleAndromeda

BurgerB75":2m8mf433 said:
Interesting but as far as I know even population III stars couldn't be large enough to account for a galaxy's worth of mass. That and you are off by quite a bit concerning the amount of mass in our galaxy. Our galaxy contains between 200 and 400 million stars. They mass quite a bit more than "millions of tons".

In fact, the largest star that I know of, WR102ka (Peony Nebula Star) is "only" 175 solar masses or about 1/1,000,000th the mass of the galaxy.

Hmm... You know, it's so hard for me to fathem just how big our galaxy is. I mean, we are
an atom on a grain of dust orbiting the sun
as my Physics teacher said. But aside from that, I see where you're coming form. However, I have a question. Don't all black holes come from some sort of star? Or are there black holes that are just there?

B

BlackHoleAndromeda

BurgerB75":26jaon8f said:
My understanding, limited as it is, is that they all come from stars but grow by feeding on matter and possibly collisions with other black holes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Growth

Oh yes!!! :!: :!: :!: So perhps a large star(as large as they can get went supernova and collided with other black holes that may have drifted too close. Or, perhaps a star exploded and the black hole fed on so much of the debris, it grew to massive(or should I say supermassive) proportions.

M

MeteorWayne

You're still off by dozens of orders of magnitude. That's billions and billions and billions of times :)

B

BlackHoleAndromeda

MeteorWayne":3nd53dzh said:
You're still off by dozens of orders of magnitude. That's billions and billions and billions of times :)

Perhaps it's more complicated than I first figured.

B

Balthazar579

Galaxy mass star = instacollapse. Probably. But then, nothing goes faster than the speed of light. Probably. I hate hawking radiation...My idea is that, rather than a "big bang" the universe is closed and infinitely looping; it collapses into a universe mass black hole(which, boys and girls, would probably be a naked singularity), and slowly lets out hawking radiation. Actually, it's just an idea i had one day. I don't think it's anywhere near right really. But I lack the math and extreme physics knowledge to figure that out for myself, and have no idea what observational evidence(except, of course, observational evidence of hawking radiation) would help. This is no more than an upscaling of the thread topic and only tangentally relevant really, but still. Anyone think it has any merit?

C

csmyth3025

Balthazar579,

For those of us who are untrained in astrophysics and cosmology it's probably best to rely on the currently (widely) accepted Lambda-Cold Dark Matter Model of the universe. A general description of this model can be found in the Wikipedia article on this subject here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamda_CDM

Trying to imagine a theory of how the universe formed and operates without a solid understanding of the science (and the history of the science) involved is pure guesswork. I would say your guess is wrong.

Chris

B

BlackHoleAndromeda

Balthazar579":78fio1lg said:
Galaxy mass star = instacollapse. Probably. But then, nothing goes faster than the speed of light. Probably. I hate hawking radiation...My idea is that, rather than a "big bang" the universe is closed and infinitely looping; it collapses into a universe mass black hole(which, boys and girls, would probably be a naked singularity), and slowly lets out hawking radiation. Actually, it's just an idea i had one day. I don't think it's anywhere near right really. But I lack the math and extreme physics knowledge to figure that out for myself, and have no idea what observational evidence(except, of course, observational evidence of hawking radiation) would help. This is no more than an upscaling of the thread topic and only tangentally relevant really, but still. Anyone think it has any merit?

Well nothing going faster than the speed of light has only one exception: space itself.

A

a_lost_packet_

BlackHoleAndromeda":3uwqq9vw said:
...Well nothing going faster than the speed of light has only one exception: space itself.

There are no exceptions - Anything with mass can not travel at the speed of light. Exceeding the speed of light involves several, similarly distasteful, rules being broken.

The rate of the expansion of the Universe between two points can exceed the speed of light. However, that is the rate of expansion and not local velocity. - Faster than light - Universal Expansion, Metric Expansion of Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts