An idea to re-ignite public passion for space

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

missionunknown

I was just thinking the other day about what a great idea it would be if nasa sent a civilian up on one of its remaining shuttle launches to send the last one off with a cheer and retire the fleet with a bang! There could be a competition with the winner picked out of millions of entrants and obviously the winner would be in the media spotlight alot. Or the competition could be amongst presenters or celebrities which would entertain the general public. I was just thinking this as i hear that american ethusiasm for space is quite low and this could help a little.

M

MeteorWayne

Possibly a good idea, but with less than a year until the retirement of the shuttle fleet, not realistic.

T

tampaDreamer

Yeah, they could send a teacher up to get kids interested in space....

:lol:

Sorry, black humor.

M

MeteorWayne

Sort of, but IIRC but I recall a Congressman (and I think Sen Glenn, however he was an astronaut) flew after that, but my timing could be off.

BTW, this topic is not related to a specific Mission or Launch, so will soon be found in SB&T.

R

radarredux

missionunknown":1kkybf9e said:
to send the last one off with a cheer and retire the fleet with a bang!
Bad choice of words. The last one didn't go too well.

Besides, the private space industry will probably do a pretty good job at igniting excitement -- and they'll put an advertising budget behind it. There are already several sub-orbital projects well underway for which anyone with enough money can earn their astronaut wings, and I'm sure there will be raffles for those eventually. There is Zero-G where you can experience weightlessness on the relative cheap, and I've heard of raffles for that.

And I bet within 5-7 years there will be private orbital flights too.

E

EpitomeOfMan

A good idea yes, but flawed non the less. Sorry.

There are just to many rules, and red tape to go around that NASA just isn't willing to do. As far as I am concerned NASA primary cares about keeping itself a float, and less about actual space travel and exploration. If they wanted to get the public interested in space, they would have already.
True, the future of space travel is in the hands of private industry, which should be hosting sub-orbital flights in the next 5 years or so, a part of space travel that I personally hope to be a part of. Maybe once the private industry enthralls the public, NASA and other governmental space agencies will use that temporary boost in public interest to acquire an increase in government budget, and possibly unite with other nations space agencies to further out reaches in the solar system.
A better educated public will also help. Come back Carl Sagan, we miss you.
To bad the Human race isn't united, would make things much easier.

B

bdewoody

I hate to say this but the one thing that would get us all off our collective butts is either a real live verifyable encounter with some form of alien race or a moderate sized asteroid or comet slamming into some populated area of the earth. One would have hoped that Shoemaker/Levy 9 would have created enough concern to get us motivated but the further away that event gets the less everyone worries about the problem.

E

Eman_3

Basically, public interest and support is crap. I recall the Apollo days, and it was exciting for everyone. Every age, every nationality was captured up in this magnificent endevour, and everyone talked about it. Now, flash forward to 2009, and we now see complete apathy from the general public. And without support from the general public, no politician is going to push for funds for any program.

If you're going to take a shot at re-igniting public interest, it has to involve people outside the industry. My personal concept is to invite some A-list pop star such as Miley Cyrus to go along on a shuttle mission, with a professional cameraman. While up there she can shoot some public interest clips, and footage to be used in creating some videos and a movie. Miley Cyrus would win because she would be the first entertainer to break new ground, put out unique videos, and capture a lot of media attention. NASA and space enthusiasts would win because kids would become aware that there's more to life than Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, and Paris Hilton.

Hey, apathy is at an all-time low, drastic measures should be considered to combat this nation-wide lack of interest..

M

missionunknown

Eman_3":2ws4uv6v said:
Basically, public interest and support is crap. I recall the Apollo days, and it was exciting for everyone. Every age, every nationality was captured up in this magnificent endevour, and everyone talked about it. Now, flash forward to 2009, and we now see complete apathy from the general public. And without support from the general public, no politician is going to push for funds for any program.

If you're going to take a shot at re-igniting public interest, it has to involve people outside the industry. My personal concept is to invite some A-list pop star such as Miley Cyrus to go along on a shuttle mission, with a professional cameraman. While up there she can shoot some public interest clips, and footage to be used in creating some videos and a movie. Miley Cyrus would win because she would be the first entertainer to break new ground, put out unique videos, and capture a lot of media attention. NASA and space enthusiasts would win because kids would become aware that there's more to life than Tony Hawk, Guitar Hero, and Paris Hilton.

Hey, apathy is at an all-time low, drastic measures should be considered to combat this nation-wide lack of interest..

Its worth noting that its more of an american problem than a worldwide problem, here in Britain we commemorated the apollo 11 moon landings quite well and there was a buzz about space for ooh i don't know a month, and some politician said britain would have its own space agency sometime soon. Then theres the moonlite project.

I reckon it would take china testing out its own lunar space craft in space to get americans talking again, basically another space race. And to ever said its a pity that the world isn't united making space venturing easier, im not so sure thats true. I think a century or so more of space races is the best way to go forth. After all would the moon landings ever have happened without the cold 'war'?

A

annodomini2

Many people are not interested because it detracts from their own selfish 'happiness'.

A cheap, reliable, working SSTO system providing orbital trips that anyone could use would attract some interest.

Maybe landing people on Mars.

But until we determine a realistic method for interstellar no-one is going to want to know.

S

samkent

Many people are not interested because it detracts from their own selfish 'happiness'.

By happiness do you mean no health care or retirement concerns? Remember back in the sixties social security was going to last forever. And some companies had generous retirement programs. So you were sure you were going to have plenty of money when you retired. Plus there were no high tech treatments for diseases that drained your funds requiring you to sell your house. You just died. Wait until you get into your 50’s and see if you don’t get a bit selfish.

A cheap, reliable, working SSTO system providing orbital trips that anyone could use would attract some interest.

It doesn’t exist and we have no idea how to make one. It remains in the realm of Star Trek.

People still don’t see a need to be out there.

B

Bill_Wright

Notice how "Defying Gravity" didn't get picked up this fall? Nobody cares. We are no longer about adventure and sacrifice. We just want to see TV doctors.

M

MeteorWayne

Wait. You are seriously suggesting that a crap TV show not getting get picked up as showing the public doesn't care? It's based on some kind of alien entity (what we don't know) being transported to somewhere (not exactly clear) for some purpose (unknown). It's scientifically unrealistic (i.e no communication delay, no explantion for the artificial gravity, etc, etc) Sometimes crap TV is just crap TV.

Sheesh...

S

samkent

I miss Defying Gravity. It was a lot better than another cop/medical show.

It's scientifically unrealistic (i.e no communication delay, no explantion for the artificial gravity, etc, etc) Sometimes crap TV is just crap TV.

You must have missed the first episode. The body undersuits they wore were magnetic and so was the floor. They also had a magnetic hair spray which kept their hair hanging correctly. The series stopped right at the point where the com delay would have become a problem.

M

MeteorWayne

That's not really the point. Bill said the fact that a network sci-fi show was cancelled (by a revenue driven TV network) indicated that there was no support for space exploration. I say that is a completely invalid viewpoint.

The fact that 80% of the american public doesn't know enough about science to punch their way out of a wet paper bag is a separate issue.

M

missionunknown

Oh damn have they cancelled defying gravity? I'm on episode 4 and not sure what to think about it, its good all the right actors in it, but i think its just started off too slow as if it presumed it was in it for the long run. Needs more action i reckon. But theres a lot of crap tv series mostly american out there. What was the programme Bill was hinting at was it 'house' ? Man i saw a bit of that show once god it was rubbish, hugh lauries american accent is so crap.

Also i take back what i said about it just being the american public not interested in space its the british as well and maybe other nations. I reckon you're either interested or your not and sometimes everyones interested when something actually happens (eg a man lands on the moon).

M

MeteorWayne

My point is that whether a sci-fi show is cancelled or not is irrelevant to the subject of this topic, which is a passion for space exploration.
The people who can stomach watching such bad sci-fi are unlikely to understand enough of the science to support a space program.

H

halman

missionunknown,

In my opinion, the only thing that is going to get people interested in space exploration again is to get operations going on the moon. That is the only place in space that the average person can understand and recognize. Mars is just a point of light in the sky, no different than Sirius, as far as the man on the street is concerned. Orbital operations don’t click with people, even though the International Space Station is quite obvious when it passes by.

Knowing that there are people up there on the Moon, living and working, would have a profound effect on most people’s viewpoint, I believe. They would have to confront the concept that there is someplace other than ‘here’, meaning the Earth, which is the natural way of thinking. Once they get their mind around the idea that there is some where other than ‘here’, that would force them to accept that ‘here’ is not an infinite size, and can be used up.

We are dealing with a public which does not even realize that the Sun is a star, that considers sporting activities to be the most important thing in the world, unless it is some celebrity doing something stupid. People who have no concept of what the Solar System is, who probably believe that the Sun rotates around the Earth. There is only one goal in space which they can understand, only one place in space that they can find without assistance, and that is the Moon. It doesn’t matter why we are going there, or what we will do there, just that there will be people up there.

Once we wake people up with the idea that people are going to the Moon, interest will soar. Education will become more important, technology will be more than just cell phones and iPods, and our horizons will start to expand. Right now, every launch could be for a mission going to Aldebaran, for all the typical citizen knows. Low Earth Orbit is equivalent to Andromeda to many people. Give them something that they can understand, that they can see with their own eyes, and you might get them interested.

V

Valcan

Really hal calm down people arent dumb...well most of em.

People just dont know why its important most of them. LOL i was talkin to a buddy of mine who isnt into any space stuff he said whats in space that is worth it. Well besides the whole killer asteroid thing.

I said simply the average asteroid is worth 20 trillion dollars.

His reply?

Oh, ok then thats a good idea.

As for scifi shows etc. Science fiction is doing great buisness ask all the scifi authors.

Travis taylor
John ringo
Jack campbell
david weber
david drake

List goes on and on. Heck look at babylon 5, Battlestar galactica, firefly, all the others.
Try online games like EVE online etc.

The object is to make it look exciting.

Nasa like safe predictable missions which is fine.

But Nasa could make peopel fall asleep at the prospect of exscuse me for saying it, sex.

There are always going to be people interested in space. Willing to leave earth and go beyond to live there die there and have a family there. The challenge is getting that future in our grasp. Not in the next 1000 years, not in 100 years, but in the next 50 years or less.

B

bdewoody

Most people may not be dumb but I would say many are ignorant. Have you ever watched the man on the street interviews where the person questioned has no idea where many famous landmarks are? Its amazing how many people believe the conspiracy theorists who claim that nobody ever went to the moon.

A

Antwerpo

It's impossible at this moment. As long as we don't posses the knowledge to leave our solar system i'm not interested. We know enough about our solar system to know it's quiet boring. Only a mission to the moon europa could still catch my attention.

J

Jason_Jay_Dan

First, Nasa should look into the aesthetics of its launch systems. Add some color to an otherwise monochromatic space launch system.....maybe some red/black/yellow or something. You have to catch the eye of the public.

The destination has to be challenging and worthwhile. While yes, we should go back and need to go back to the moon....it should be secondary to our quest to find life in the Solar System which that leads me to my next suggestion....

make finding life our First priority...second would be human expansion into what is otherwise an empty and lucrative frontier. We have to have a mission and the quest for ET's is an excellent quest.

I would also like to point out that there is no substitute for leadership. I'm sure that Mr. Bolden is an accomplishe bureaucrat but, inspiration is not found behind a desk also, I don't think that gutting Nasa of funding and a purpose is the type of change American's had in mind when they sent Obama to the White House.

Inspiring people is about impressing them.....so, the real question is how to impress the public. How does a High School student become popular? Appearance, Style, Charisma and Leadership. Go get some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts