Anne McCaffrey's Sci-Fi

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

morgy8755

The way that Anne McCaffrey writes her Dragon Riders of Pern books and Freedom Series makes it seem like all is possible. Like how some other humanoid species (sorry I cant remember the name of them) could swoop down on Earth and reduce it to ashes. <br /><br />Or in her Dragonriders of Pern how it is quite possible to go to another planet that is quite like Earth in almost all way shape and form. Except for the Thread that falls. And how there is a creature that is quite like a dragon.<br /><br />I just was curious if anyone else shared what I was thinking. How she makes all this stuff, that we are not capable of right now, seem like something we will have.

E

enigma10

One of the few authors i know that can blend sci-fi together with fantasy.<br /><br /> Terry Brookes is another, though you'd never know it until you get to the last few books. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"<font color="#333399">An organism at war with itself is a doomed organism." - Carl Sagan</font></em> </div>

M

morgy8755

I have heard of Terry Brookes. Another person who, some people count as Sci-Fi while others count as pure fiction or fantasy, is Terry Pratchett. <br /><br />I got started on Anne McCaffrey because I owned the Harper Hall Trilogy. And thought it was pretty good.

S

SpeedFreek

I have read all three authors, but I really went off fantasy a while back and try to stick to hard sci-fi nowadays.<br /><br />If you are looking for another decent sci-fi / fantasy crossover, there is always the "Spellsinger" series by Alan Dean Foster. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000">_______________________________________________<br /></font><font size="2"><em>SpeedFreek</em></font> </p> </div>

E

enigma10

Sci fi<br /><br /> The singers of time. Cant remember the author, and the books buried in some dusty chest somewhere. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em>"<font color="#333399">An organism at war with itself is a doomed organism." - Carl Sagan</font></em> </div>

M

morgy8755

I have come to truly love sci-fi and shall do my best to check out those books ^.^ But I will always love my fantasy and fiction books.

Y

yevaud

<i>The singers of time. Cant remember the author</i><br /><br />Frederick Pohl and Jack Williamson. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Y

yevaud

I very much appreciate the Pern series. Well-written and entertaining too (I miss Aivas and Masterharper Robinton!).<br /><br />Here's one of my personal favorites in the same genre: Darkover, by Marion Zimmer Bradley. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

S

strandedonearth

I quite enjoyed the Pern series myself, and re-read each book several times. The Talent series is another excellent series by McCaffrey, especially the Pegasus trilogy that starts the series.<br /><br />I'll have to give the Freedom series a try.

T

thebigcat

One question....What exactly is HNO3?<br /><br />Never mind...it's Nitric Acid. It just always bugged me a little bit that a civilization which so eschewed technology was able to isolate the stuff.<br /><br />Thought I would clarify that so there wouldn't be anyone saying "It's nitric acid, you dolt....look it up!" <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

K

kosmonavtkaa

I enjoyed Anne McCaffrey's books as a teenager (in the 1980s) - the early Pern books, the Crystal Singer, the Ship who Sang - but her writing from the 1990s onward has really degenerated, in my view. I borrow some from the library occasionally but can never finish them - they are dreadful! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

A

Aetius

What about them, specifically, is dreadful? I've never read McCaffrey's books.

K

kosmonavtkaa

Repetitive, simplistic stories and irritating characters - but maybe it's just me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

rybanis

Yeah, not the biggest fan. Just a bit too simplistic for me. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.