Annoying strobe banner ads "This is Not a Joke"

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

silylene

Gad - that banner is frackin' annoying. Strobing at about 60Hz, black - white - black - white - etc. And cheap crappy looking.

My first reaction was to click off SDC, not to continue perusing the forums. Do you really want banner ads which drive away your customers?

I wonder if it could induce epilepsy in someone clicking on SDC. That would be a be legal liability for TechMediaNetwork, or womever is the parent company of SDC.

Doesn't anyone at SDC or TechMediaNetwork even screen the adverts before you agree to let them onto your website?

D

doublehelix

silylene":klpfmqvg said:
Gad - that banner is frackin' annoying. Strobing at about 60Hz, black - white - black - white - etc. And cheap crappy looking.

My first reaction was to click off SDC, not to continue perusing the forums. Do you really want banner ads which drive away your customers?

I wonder if it could induce epilepsy in someone clicking on SDC. That would be a be legal liability for TechMediaNetwork, or womever is the parent company of SDC.

Doesn't anyone at SDC or TechMediaNetwork even screen the adverts before you agree to let them onto your website?

Hi silylene, where did you see this ad on the site? I haven't seen it yet, so I'm not sure what it looks like or even what it's promoting. Sorry it's so visually painful.

-dh

D

doublehelix

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. :cool:

On what part of the site did you see this? In the forums? On an article?

Thanks!

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

Just thought I'd comment FWIW, I haven't seen it yet, and BTW if it really was 60 Hz, it would have looked gray :)

S

silylene

doublehelix":hy8t2j2r said:
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. :cool:

On what part of the site did you see this? In the forums? On an article?

Thanks!

-dh

DH, sorry I don't remember that. It was so annoying my only impulse was that I immediately clicked off SDC, closing its window.

MW, indeed you are correct. I think it was strobing actually about 5 Hz.

D

doublehelix

silylene":1u25lbff said:
DH, sorry I don't remember that. It was so annoying my only impulse was that I immediately clicked off SDC, closing its window.

MW, indeed you are correct. I think it was strobing actually about 5 Hz.

That's ok, silylene. If you see it again, please let me know the details! :mrgreen:

-dh

M

MeteorWayne

I assure you that if I see it I'll squeal like a stuck pig (and will also note the strobe rate :lol: )

S

silylene

OK, I got the banner AGAIN!!! VERY VERY annoying.

This strobing banner was at 4 Hz, magenta to white. It is in the forums banner box just under the words "Community Home Page":

"THIS IS NOT A JOKE - You are the 100,000th visitor! CLICK HERE"

in a strobing magenta rectangular box. Now I know why I recalled the strobing image as black-to-white. It burns a black rectangle into your retina. Eh gads!!! I feel like spooning my eyeballs out. Please, please get rid of this crap!!!!

I clicked on it and got this URL:
http://track.webbranddeals.com/Spla...03274acb9938ef72c36cc619&c=10763&s=CPMA&se=02

It advertises a "FREE $1000 WALMART Gift Card ...Participation required" (yeah, right)

with these caveats:
WebBrandDeals.com is not affiliated with Walmart®. All Walmart® trademarks are the property of Walmart® and WebBrandDeals.com does not, in any way, claim to represent or own any of the Walmart® trademarks or rights. Walmart® does not own, endorse, or promote WebBrandDeals.com or this promotion.
By entering your email and continuing, you certify that you are a US resident over the age of 18 and that you agree to the Privacy Policy, Redemption Instructions and Gift Rules and Terms & Conditions. You agree to receive promotional emails and special offers from trusted 3rd parties including DealSave.net.

Powered by WebBrandDeals.com. WebBrandDeals.com is an independent rewards program and not associated with any of the above listed merchants or brands. The above listed merchants or brands in no way endorse or sponsor WebBrandDeals.com's offer and are not liable for any alleged or actual claims related to this offer. The above listed trademarks and service marks are the marks of their respective owners. WebBrandDeals.com is solely responsible for all Gift fulfillment. In order to receive your gift you must: (1) Meet the eligibility requirements (2) complete the rewards bonus survey (3) complete a total of 13 Sponsor Offers as stated in the Gift Rules (4) Follow redemption instructions.

Copyright © 2004-2009 WebBrandDeals.com All rights reserved.
Terms & Conditions | Privacy Policy | Gift Rules | Unsubscribe | Contact | Example of Sponsor Offers | Gift Status

M

Mee_n_Mac

I've seen this ad, just the one time though. It was at least a week, perhaps 2, ago. You are correct, it's among the most annoying ads I've seen. Beaten only by those that make sounds, loud sounds.

N

neuvik

Google ads use a cookies to tailor their advertising to an individual, it keeps info for about 3 weeks, and then reupdates.

I forgot what it is named, but you should be able to just google search it. You can attempt to block the site in your preferences if you know the adobe flash address.

If you have cookies disabled, it could be just a base add for google. You could reinstate cookies and attempt to fake it out by clicking on the Orion ads, and a few others to make things a tad more pleasing.
All I see is the Orion ads, EVE-Online, and the Teaching Company.

D

doublehelix

Hey guys, I notified the advertising department and I believe this ad is gone gone gone.

-dh

S

silylene

dh, thank you. With time and ingestion of sufficent quantities of carrots, my retinas will recover and that horrible strobing afterimage will fade. ;)

D

doublehelix

silylene":34r42sdx said:
ingestion of sufficent quantities of carrots

Don't forget blueberries! They are supposedly good for vision, too. :cool:

But seriously, you're welcome. Thanks for letting us know about the ad - feedback like this is really important.

-dh

M

Mee_n_Mac

doublehelix":3kfrw36q said:
Hey guys, I notified the advertising department and I believe this ad is gone gone gone.

-dh

Nope, nope, nope.

Just 30 seconds ago I got it when visiting here ...

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=23826&view=unread#unread

I have popups blocked and couldn't get to the site advertised w/o allowing all pop-ups from that site. I declined the invitation. In addition to the flashing it yells at you ... "You Won !!!!". Good thing I'm at home and not at work.

D

doublehelix

Sorry about that Mee_n_Mac. I've forwarded the complaint to the advertising person who would know what to do with this.

-dh

S

silylene

Just got another strobing banner ad, this one blue and white, which then said "congratulations, you won!". It was so annoying I clicked off SDC.com, and then it mae me log in again when I tried to get back into the webbsite (thought that was fixed too!).

I thought SDC stopped hosting strobe ads, and annoying voice ads. Apparently not. They're back.

A

a_lost_packet_

Just an advisory-

Stop surfing unprotected.

There are a variety of programs and browser settings one can choose to keep such annoying ads from appearing or, at the very least, from being so annoying. Many of these are "free." Many are customizable so, if you wish, the ad will appear but is prevented from animating or playing sound files and the like.

However, most of the time, browser settings are not enough. After all, your browser must have certain settings enabled in order to access the site or, at least, to view the site in the manner it was intended. Third party apps, BHOs, Plugins/etc are necessarily configured to block these things while keeping your browser functioning with the chosen site as intended.

If possible, blocking google-analytics, googleapis, doubleclick, and scorecardresearch may help keep the offending ad away. But, that's just what is showing up on mine atm. Without something filtering the site for you, like a third party app, firewall or plugin, you're still susceptible to others.

If you wish to contribute to SDC's overall health, a few click here and there on trusted ads is still something you can do simply by lowering your shields for a few minutes. If one doesn't mind rolling the dice in the name of good netizen citizenship...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts