Antartic ice core samples record supernovae events and solar cycles

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

michaelmozina

<p>http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3446</p><p>I thought this was a very interesting paper. &nbsp; </p><p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thus, it is very unlikely that these two spikes occurred in these positions by chance. In other words, these two<br />spikes are associated with SN 1006 and the Crab Nebula, respectively, with a confidence level much larger than 99%.</DIV></p><p>I also find it highly interesting that their technique reveals a pattern in these measurement that is consistent with the solar cycle.&nbsp; </p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>&nbsp;</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://arxiv.org/abs/0902.3446I thought this was a very interesting paper. &nbsp; I also find it highly interesting that their technique reveals a pattern in these measurement that is consistent with the solar cycle.&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br />Posted by michaelmozina</DIV><br /><br />Can't wait to see it in Narure when it comes out with the graphs! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

michaelmozina

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Can't wait to see it in Narure when it comes out with the graphs! <br /> Posted by MeteorWayne</DIV></p><p>I hear you.&nbsp; I'm particularly curious about the variations in solar cycle data and how well that might correspond with cooler periods in Earth's history.&nbsp; There does seem to be a direct link between ocean temperatures and sunspot activity, and the sunspot activity is typically indicative of activity in the iron ion wavelengths.&nbsp; If there is any way to link the solar cycle data to cooling trends, the would be pretty clear evidence that the sun's natural variations may play a major role in global warming/cooling.&nbsp; It seems like a hot area of research (pardon the pun). :) </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> It seems to be a natural consequence of our points of view to assume that the whole of space is filled with electrons and flying electric ions of all kinds. - Kristian Birkeland </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.