Any help would be grand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hypercardiac

<i><b><font color="#6699FF
<br />" />I posted this a while back but, I was wondering if anyone had a couple of links or can point me in the right direction of finding a website that can display the exact planetary alignment for any day up to about 25 years ago. I have seached all over and cannot find a site that does this. Any help would be great since I kind of need this my this weekend for a project.... Thanks! :^)</b></i>/safety_wrapper>

P

pyoko

Your old thread had it all:<br /><br />http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=askastronomer&Number=556504&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

Q

qso1

http://space.jpl.nasa.gov/<br /><br />I don't know how far back it goes but i'm pretty sure at least 25 years. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

S

search

In this LINK NASA you can get the alignment. Just put "Solar System" in show me and then as seen from "above". Change date accordingly.<br /><br />The other option is this LINK FOURMILAB (which was in previous thread):<br /><br />Good luck for your project

W

why06

Wow thats pretty neat. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div>________________________________________ <br /></div><div><ul><li><font color="#008000"><em>your move...</em></font></li></ul></div> </div>

P

pyoko

All of these are from your first thread:<br /><br />http://www.lightandmatter.com/index.html<br /><br />http://www.astro.wisc.edu/~dolan/Planets/ <br /><br />http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Solar<br /><br /><br />And good luck with your tattoo. Is that still your project?<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

H

hypercardiac

<b><i><font color="#663366">Thanks for finding those sites, or the thread with them from before. I had been trying to figure out how to get that post for the longest time! And yes that is the project. I have found the artist that can do it the way I want to and not some silly little cartoon drawing like most have been trying to do...Bad part is that I have a few other people that want to get it now too...</font></i></b>/safety_wrapper>

H

hypercardiac

<b><i><font color="#663366">BTW, I really like that quote! :^)</font></i></b>/safety_wrapper>

A

astralimage

Wow, set from "above" at 1% image width and take a look at Voyager 1's location! It's out like four times the orbit of Pluto.<br /><br />Anyone know what percent of the way it is towards reaching the Oort?<br /><br />(Please don't tell me <1%, I'll feel highly discouraged!)

H

heyscottie

Sorry, you'll have to be disappointed. The Voyager crafts are currently just over 100 AU from the sun. The Oort cloud is estimated to lie between 50000 - 100000 AU from the sun.<br /><br />I should mention, however, that distance to the Oort cloud is not really known. Some are calling Sedna an "Inner Oort Cloud" object rather than a Kuiper belt object, for example.<br /><br />There is also a hypothetical region known as the "Hills Cloud" which would have a fuzzy inner boundary at 50-3000 AU and an outer boundary around 20000-30000 AU. This area would be denser than the Oort cloud by a magnitude of 10. There is, however, no real consensus that this cloud exists.<br /><br />In any case, we won't live to see Voyager make it to the Oort cloud...

P

pyoko

Is the voyagers nuclear engine still working? Why doesn't it just keep accelerating? I thought it had some (almost) perpetual ion engine or something. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

Q

qso1

Voyager was not equipped with nuclear propulsion of any kind. You are probably thinking of the power source which is known as a radio isotopic thermoelectric generator or RTG. This device provides power to the spacecraft systems which is one reason contact with the craft has been maintained for so long. RTGs are powered by the decay of plutonium over a long period of time.<br /><br />In fact, you may recall that the Voyager probes relied on gravity assist from Jupiter for some of their propulsive energy. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

P

pyoko

Ah, got it. So there is still plenty of power left. For some reason I thought it has both normal thrusters (spent) and an ion thruster (long term, weak). I'll google. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p><span style="color:#ff9900" class="Apple-style-span">-pyoko</span> <span style="color:#333333" class="Apple-style-span">the</span> <span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span">duck </span></p><p><span style="color:#339966" class="Apple-style-span"><span style="color:#808080;font-style:italic" class="Apple-style-span">It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.</span></span></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Well there's not "plenty" of power left, the output continues to decline.<br /><br />And back when the Voyagers were created (designed in the 60's, launched in 77) ion thrusters did not exist for insertion into the craft.<br /><br />It was simple old roclet propellants, with help from gravity. In fact they've been coasting a long time!! <br /><br /> Voyager Home Page <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts