Anybody see the launch out of Vandenberg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arconin

I saw it from Simi Valley...was nice except for the low cloud bank that obscured the first couple minutes. Once it got above that, saw what I believe to be the jettison of the minuteman portion and ignition of the third Pegasus stage...was real nice.

S

sergeantspud

i saw the end<br /> does any one have or know where a video could be

S

sgcullen

We didn't see it directly but we had an amazing view of the staging from Tucson, AZ. We didn't think we'd see anything from here but the show was spectacular. A huge plume was visible that filled almost the entire western horizon from our house in northwest Tucson. I have submitted a couple of pics to APOD...we'll see if they use them (too big to attach here).<br /><br />Steve Cullen

B

bolloman

My wife called me at work to tell me to get outside to right now. She thought it was a comet or something. She walked out of a store to see it just as it finished either the first or second stage. I got to see the last minute or so of burn. Awesome sight!!<br /><br />My searches for info about the launch of the rocket brought me to find this website. I've already spent an hour reading various posts and this looks like a great place.

L

liquidspace2k

While i was reading this post, it had a segment on Foxnews, that was only like 5 seconds long, just reporting that the rocket launched and had a picture of the plume left over from the rocket.

A

askold

I only saw one gap, then a new stage ignite - that must have been the third stage. The first stage burnout must have been below the horizon.<br /><br />The third stage ignition was amazing - the plume behind the rocket opened real wide - like an umbrella.

A

askold

Yeah - that's the wide plume I saw - your second photo.<br /><br />It's so much wider than the previous stage. Why? Higher altitude? Greater velocity? Different type of rocket?

B

bolloman

This is the point in this second photo where I saw it from. For just a few seconds, I actually thought it might be a comet rushing past our Earth.<br /><br />Very cool pictures...thank you. My little ones looked at them and agreed, "yep, that's what we saw!"

S

scottb50

It looks about like it should look, As I live in the Phoenix area I wonder if it is a good idea launching this direction. True, it obviously went South of Phoenix it still seems pretty close to me.<br /><br />I just wish I had known, I live at the extreme South Eastern corner of the Phoenix area. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

L

lampblack

Am I remembering correctly that the Minotaurs were converted from duty carrying MIRVs for the so-called Peacekeeper nuclear missile system?<br /><br />I think I am remembering that right. Just think what it might have been like if things had gone really badly with the Russians -- and we'd looked up one night to see those bad boys headed on a cross-polar trajectory? It would have been a beautiful sight -- for a little while.<br /><br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#0000ff"><strong>Just tell the truth and let the chips fall...</strong></font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts