APOLLO GOALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

moonunit

Keeping to the goals of the Apollo Program we should be able to repeat and expand in this new mellinium....<br /><br />Apollo Goals<br /><br />"That's one small step for man. One giant leap for mankind." <br /> - Neil Armstrong<br /><br />The national effort that enabled Astronaut Neil Armstrong to speak those words as he stepped onto the lunar surface, fulfilled a dream as old as humanity. But<br />Project Apollo's goals went beyond landing Americans on the Moon and returning them safely to Earth:<br /><br />To establish the technology to meet other national interests in space. <br /><br />To achieve preeminence in space for the United States. <br /><br />To carry out a program of scientific exploration of the Moon. <br /><br />To develop man's capability to work in the lunar environment.<br /><br /><br />Thanks to all who helped achieve those goals....lets not let them get lost in history!<br /><br />Moonunit

R

radarredux

Not sure of the purpose of this post, but I thought I would throw out this unusual goal:<br /><br /><i>Put another person on the moon before all those who have already walked on the moon are dead.</i><br /><br />I have this terrible fear that we will get to the point when there is no living person on Earth who has walked on another world. Our astronauts are getting old, and a few have already died. There is no practical reason for this goal, but I will be terribly sad if we get to that day when the last man dies and we are still Earth-bound.

H

halman

RadarRedux,<br /><br />Sustainable progress is critical in planning future space missions. The Apollo program was doomed to fizzle out when there was no plan for a space station or a lunar shuttle by 1968. Using Saturn 5 rockets to get two people to the Moon could not be sustained. Yet, we are talking about building a Crew Expedition Vehicle which will be launched on a rocket and fly to the Moon. Even though there is no rocket in the inventory which is capable of such a mission.<br /><br />Lunar missions apparently will not be staged from the International Space Station, because all we will be using it for is prolonged zero-gravity exposure studies. There is no talk of developing a lunar shuttle, capable of travel from Low Earth Orbit to the surface of the Moon and back, to support lunar development. How is this a program of sustainable development? We are talking about doing the same things that the Apollo missions did, only for a lot more money.<br /><br />What is the point? To convince people that we are still a 'space faring nation'? We have got to start with a station in Low Earth Orbit which will support lunar development missions, then add a lunar shuttle, then start building stuff on the Moon. All within a span of a few years, so that the space station is not falling into disrepair by the time that the lunar development flights begin. Creating one element of the mission at a time won't work. We built a space shuttle, but waited so long to build somewhere for it to go that it isn't going anywhere anymore.<br /><br />If we go on this way, the critics will be right; All we are doing is wasting money. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> The secret to peace of mind is a short attention span. </div>

M

moonunit

I believe you are correct with the fact that only 10 moonwalkers and riders are still alive. We should gather them all together to announce a new moon project or at least show NASA footage of their missions on the moon to a new generation with the human experience of what it meant to walk and ride and live on an alien land....which happens to be our closest neighbor in the sky....I've seen the footage of the lunar rovers and it's quite awe inspiring...Before they pass let's hope we as Americans are smart enough to get their human experience in the hearts and minds of a new generation.<br /><br />Moonunit

D

duress

I'd be happy just to see the old Apollo Space Suits being worn again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts