ARES-I/V SRB 'chute tested

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

http://www.physorg.com/multimedia/pix1425/<br /><br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p><b>NASA Conducts Second Test of Ares Rockets' Main Parachute</b><br /><br />The main parachute for Constellation Program rockets is tested Nov. 15 over the U.S. Army's Yuma Proving Ground near Yuma, Ariz. Measuring 150-feet in diameter and weighing 2,000 pounds, the parachute is the largest of its kind that's been tested. Outfitted with a 42,000-pound weight to simulate the load of a first stage, the main parachute was dropped from a U.S. Air Force C-17 aircraft flying at an altitude of 16,500 feet. The one-ton parachute and all supporting hardware functioned properly, landing safely approximately three minutes later on the Yuma Proving Ground test range. The parachute system will allow Ares I and Ares V first stage boosters to be recovered and reused. Exploring the moon and beyond is the focus of Constellation Program, which is developing a new family of U.S. launch vehicles, spacecraft and related systems for exploration.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

S

scottb50

I thought they had already decided not to recover the Ares SRB's? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

D

docm

IF so someone didn't get the message and the taxpayers are incrementally hosed again. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts