Ares I-Y launch being canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevekk

Cancelling this flight makes perfect sense. Why test a launch configuration that doesn't closely match the final configuration, especially that "relatively" close to the end of the project. They obviously need some sort of test flight in 2012, but one that looks a lot closer to the final Ares - 1 / Orion stack.

T

tanstaafl76

stevekk":bhjjhb1r said:
Cancelling this flight makes perfect sense. Why test a launch configuration that doesn't closely match the final configuration

That's kind of what I was wondering about Ares 1-X....

2012 before the next test flight? It really takes 3 years to put together another rocket? I know rockets aren't cheap and their funding is restricted but geez...

J

job1207

"The current Constellation manifest shows the Ares I-Y flight test scheduled in March 2014, just a year out from the proposed first crewed flight Orion 2, planned in 2015."

The flight that was canceled is noted ABOVE. The date WAS supposed to be 2014.

See the link you provided, at the bottom.

T

thermionic

So Ares 1-Y was originally scheduled for 2012, posponed to 2014, and now cancelled.
Orion with crew is still scheduled for 2015? Didn't the Augustine report say 2017 was earliest possible?
And the article mentions launching something different in 2012 or 2013?

Did I get that right? or left? /jd

H

hipar

The commission analyzed the schedule as being financially driven. Sometimes, it's necessary to assume risk and restructure a developmental program in an attempt continue with less funds. Sometimes, that works out.

S

steve82

Ares 1-Y has been pretty much just a placeholder in the schedule for some time now. Getting rid of it will allow Orion-1 to get moved up a little, with an earlier orbital test of the full Orion vehicle. Orion-2 would likely be kept in the schedule as a manned option, but will probably fly unmanned to get a little more confidence in the integrated stack before they put crew onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts