ARES - The Sequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rcsplinters

I ran across the following link which suggests one of the many possible futures for the next 5 - 6 years as it regards NASA and manned space flight. It seems like the ARES I development and testing would continue rather aggressively toward HLV testing in 2013 and 2014. I'm a bit surprised a plan would be devised to bring ARES I so near completion but ignore funding for manufacturing. However, the thought might be to provide a backup in case a commercial option doesn't appear viable or perhaps just turning ARES over to a contractor to manage as a program (My speculations, not the article's). I wouldn't take the proposal too seriously but it does illustrate the point that the plan of record for 2011 is very much up in the air and very possibly will not resemble the administration's vague concept for US spaceflight over the next decade. That said, the devil's in the details and this option does not mentioned any costs so that aspect is not evaluated.

Here's the link.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/05/ambitious-ares-test-flight-plan-hlv-demonstrations/

Note To Mods: If referencing an off site news outlet is not permitted, please accept my apologies and remove the thread. I couldn't find a specific prohibition against it but some sites do not permit such cross references. I thought others might find it an interesting read.

S

shuttle_guy

That site has good inside sources and is usually correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts