Ariane 5 ES-L528 - ATV cargo (Jules Verne) -

Page 4 - Seeking answers about space? Join the Space community: the premier source of space exploration, innovation, and astronomy news, chronicling (and celebrating) humanity's ongoing expansion across the final frontier.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bobw

<p><font color="#c0c0c0">zipi<br />I tried to search some news articles about the electronic problems of ATV, but didn't yet find any.<br /></font><br />Yes, one of the best parts of following the missions here at Space.com Community is getting news, from people in the control rooms, before it is news.</p>Thanks erioladastra <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobble_bob

<p>Not a good start to the life of the ATV. After all that testing aswell!</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I tried to search some news articles about the electronic problems of ATV, but didn't yet find any. The problems are probably so fresh issue that they haven't been published yet. It is nice to see that this place is really up to date at all events.Eventhough it is sad to see that our (europe's) first space craft of this size have such problems at its maiden flight. I really don't understand how fuel/ox mismatch can happen (if&nbsp;that is the root cause)... Haven't they tested the thrusters here at ground? <br />Posted by zipi</DIV></p><p>Remember, this is ESA :)</p><p>They'll announce the problem in Novermber ;)</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

Calling the problems minor with the ATV at the Flight Readness Conference <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Calling the problems minor with the ATV at the Flight Readness Conference <br />Posted by bobble_bob</DIV><br />&nbsp;<br />you're quick Bob! :) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

B

bobble_bob

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;you're quick Bob! :) <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p><br />Just happened to be in this thread as they mentioned it in the conference :D</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Z

Zipi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Calling the problems minor with the ATV at the Flight Readness Conference <br />Posted by bobble_bob</DIV><br /><br />I noticed this as well... Is one dead thruster a minor issue? Or maybe I have misunderstood something.</p><p>I was also wonderin what this fuel/ox mismatch actually means? Does it mean that they put the wrong stuff into the tanks or does it mean incorrect amounts of fuel and oxidizer during the burn?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bobble_bob

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>I noticed this as well... Is one dead thruster a minor issue? Posted by zipi</DIV></p><p>Maybe they were trying to downplay the issue as its an ESA mission and not something that should be debated at a Flight Readness Conference for the shuttle. Just a guess</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'><font color="#ff0000">Maybe they were trying to downplay the issue as its an ESA mission and not something that should be debated at a Flight Readness Conference for the shuttle. Just a guess <br />Posted by bobble_bob</font></DIV></p><p><font color="#003300"><strong>Lets hope its just a teething issue. I have not seen anything as yet as to explain with what might be wrong. What ever it is it will not affect STS 123 Endeavour in any way.</strong></font></p><p><font color="#003300"><strong>Launch of Jules Verne pictures from Spaceflightnow.com.<br /></strong></font>http://spaceflightnow.com/ariane/v181/launch/</p><p><strong><font color="#800000">Andrew Brown.</font></strong></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

B

bobw

<p>I have been clicking the ESA site between chapters of my reading. Not much detail but there is an update.</p><p><br />Full article at ESA website<br /><em>All navigation systems onboard, the star-trackers, the GPS system are working nominally and the solar arrays, which deployed very smoothly, are delivering full power. However the spacecraft on board computers detected a slight difference in pressure between the oxidizer and the fuel that compose the propellant. This caused the ATV to immediately switch over to the second of four propulsion chains, as it is designed to do.</em></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

W

windnwar

<p><font size="2">Sounds relatively minor then. It might even be possible for them to purge whichever of the oxidisers thats pressure is off in order to equalize it, but if it's still has 3 working chains of thrusters so long as it doesn't happen again, they should be fine. </font></p><p><font size="2">Teething problems always come up when you actually fly em. </font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><font size="2" color="#0000ff">""Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein"</font></p> </div>

B

bobw

<p>If an electronic malfunction in the controller makes it deliver bad pressure to the thrusters it could be bad.&nbsp; The controllers all have the same design and probably parts from the same batch. </p><p><font color="#000000">9 AM eastern time, erioladastra wrote:</font><em><strong>There is a Propulsion Drive Electronics failure.&nbsp; </strong>It is 1 of 4 units and controls 1/4 of the thrusters.&nbsp; That could mean a lot more prop usage for control but also they are <strong>concerned that another could fail for the same reason </strong>(looks like fuel/ox mismatch) and send the ATV into survival mode.&nbsp; All burns are canceled until further notice.</em></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p>spaceflightnow has an update:</p><p>http://www.spaceflightnow.com/ariane/v181/080309prop.html</p><p><font color="#800000">"An electronics box on Europe's first cargo ship shut down a propulsion system command chain responsible for a quarter of the space-age delivery truck's maneuvering thrusters, officials said Sunday. </font></p><p><font color="#800000">"We really don't think it's anything serious, but we're studying it prudently," said Alan Thirkettle, the European Space Agency's international space station program manager. </font></p><p><font color="#800000">During the propulsion system's activation sequence moments after reaching orbit, Jules Verne's computers noticed a slight pressure difference between the ship's hydrazine fuel and nitrogen tetroxide oxidizer being fed through valves. The suspect chain controls seven of 28 attitude control jets and one the ship's four main engines, according to Nicolas Chamussy, ATV program manager for contractor EADS Astrium. </font></p><p><font color="#800000">"This is something we're looking at in a lot of detail now," said John Ellwood, ATV project manager. "I think the very good news is that all the failure detection and recovery action all went perfectly. It measured a small anomaly, immediately went onto the other chain, which is working perfectly"</font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

E

erioladastra

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Glad to see you are back erioladastra!!Not so happy to hear that news about Jules Verne :( <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p>Thanks - but I will be very honest I don't know if I will stay.&nbsp; I find this new set up really a step backwards.&nbsp; It is very hard to navigate around and it seems very buggy (at least in IE 6.0 it freaks out constantly).&nbsp; THis reply took almost 10 minutes to make.&nbsp; And I AM a rocket scientist!&nbsp; :)&nbsp; Sigh.<br /></p>

E

earth_bound_misfit

<p><font color="#0000ff">[QUOTE And I AM a rocket scientist!&nbsp; :)&nbsp; <br /> Posted by erioladastra[/QUOTE]</font></p><p>LOL! Must be fun to be able to say that :)</p><p>Yeah, just quietly, this new forum software doens't really appeal. I hope TPTB can soup it up or can it. :(</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p><p>----------------------------------------------------------------- </p><p>Wanna see this site looking like the old SDC uplink?</p><p>Go here to see how: <strong>SDC Eye saver </strong>  </p> </div>

Z

Zipi

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Thanks - but I will be very honest I don't know if I will stay.&nbsp; I find this new set up really a step backwards.&nbsp; It is very hard to navigate around and it seems very buggy (at least in IE 6.0 it freaks out constantly).&nbsp; THis reply took almost 10 minutes to make.&nbsp; And I AM a rocket scientist!&nbsp; :)&nbsp; Sigh. <br />Posted by erioladastra</DIV></p><p>Please try to hang on... At first this new forum software felt like the end of the world, but now I have been somehow adjusted to it... Nevertheless... The old one was much better in terms of usability. Let's hope that Fluck will make the features what we are waiting for. :-<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

erioladastra

<p>&nbsp;</p><p>The PDE-2 was sucessfully reintegrated today.&nbsp; There will be a small burn using 1 & 2 today, and 3 & 4 tomorrow.&nbsp; Maybe the CAM demo 1 burn will be Saturday.</p>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;The PDE-2 was sucessfully reintegrated today.&nbsp; There will be a small burn using 1 & 2 today, and 3 & 4 tomorrow.&nbsp; Maybe the CAM demo 1 burn will be Saturday. <br />Posted by erioladastra</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Thanx for the update.<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Thanx for the update. <br />Posted by meteorwayne</DIV></p><p>NASA TV just said ATV boost oset to occur now<br /></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

F

fractionofadot

<p>Great to see that the chain that was causing problems early in the mission is now behaving nominally.</p><p>Today they successfully demonstrated the collision avoidance routine as well as putting the spacecraft into sleep mode and bringing it back out.</p><p>Really hope it all goes to plan. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

E

erioladastra

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Great to see that the chain that was causing problems early in the mission is now behaving nominally.Today they successfully demonstrated the collision avoidance routine as well as putting the spacecraft into sleep mode and bringing it back out.Really hope it all goes to plan. <br />Posted by fractionofadot</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Today the Collision Avoidance Maneuver was performed successfully.&nbsp; Not ATV will meander to its parking orbit where it will arrive March 19.<br /></p>

B

brandbll

Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Glad to see you are back erioladastra!!</DIV><br /><br />I think it's safe to say MW represents the majority of the people on the board when he says that.&nbsp; It is good to have you back! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font size="3">You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!</font></p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;Today the Collision Avoidance Maneuver was performed successfully.&nbsp; Not ATV will meander to its parking orbit where it will arrive March 19. <br />Posted by erioladastra</DIV></p><p>Was that manueuver to avoid USA 193 debris? I noticed a few close passes with the STS 123 and Jules Vernes listed.</p><p>What a debacle that has turned out to be.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

M

moonmadness

<p>When is the Jules Verne due to dock?</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p>I'm not a rocket scientist, but I do play one on the TV in my mind.</p> </div>

M

MeteorWayne

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>When is the Jules Verne due to dock? <br />Posted by moonmadness</DIV></p><p>From ESA "<br />Additional demonstrations of Jules Verne's functionality are scheduled later in the month, with actual rendezvous and docking planned for 3 April 2008. "</p><p>&nbsp;</p><p>Here's a mission page for the next week or so:</p><p>http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ATV/SEMQ29N5NDF_0.html</p><p>"Demo Day 1 (Mar 29) will bring ATV to s2, 3500 m behind the ISS. Demo Day 2 (Mar 31) will bring ATV to S41, just 12 m away from the Russian service module. The first docking attempt is scheduled for 3 April 2008. ATV will slow down to just 7 cm/sec before final contact. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts