asteroid on collision course with mars - what happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

loopmode

As my subject says: Around december 2007 there were news about an asteroid potentially being on collision course with mars. What happened with that object?<br />thanks

M

MeteorWayne

AFAIK, it missed, as the odds had dropped very low<br /><br />Good question, I'll see if I can find out.<br /><br />Welcome to Space.com!! <br /><br />Edit:<br />As I suspected, it's likely that it missed. It's 2007 WD5.<br />It's unfortunately too small and too far away to be observed; the last optical observations were January 9th. That's about 3 weeks before the potential impact on January 30th.<br /><br />If anything had been spotted on the surface (such as an impact or a new crater) I'm sure we would have heard about it by now.<br /><br />It's so samll, we may never spot it again, if we do it would next be possible during it's next fairly close approach to earth in late 2011.<br /><br />Wayne <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

L

loopmode

Thanks for the answer, and thanks for welcoming me as well!

R

richalex

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>What happened with that object?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote>It missed.

M

MeteorWayne

As far as we know, anyway. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

Little asteroids are too many.They are having no news value.No scientific value.

M

MeteorWayne

Not sure I'd agree with that. We are greatly increasing our knowledge of the size distribution of asteroids in the near earth environment. Before this, there were a lot of estimates, but now we have more facts to work with.<br /><br />Also, the many tiny asteroids we discover decrease the likelyhood of a larger one that can sneak up on us. I think the many dedicated searches have performed a valuable service to mankind. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

N

nexium

A ten meter asteroid typically has more than 1000 tons of raw material, some of which may be very valuable. We can excavate a habitat at the mass center which provides good radiation protection. Slightly larger, provides excellent radiation protection. Can Hubble space telescope see a ten meter asteroid 100 million kilometers away? Neil

M

MeteorWayne

The point is that earh based telescopes can and are doing so with regularity. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.