ATK Launch Vehicle Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>http://ares.newsvine.com/_news/2008/08/23/1778388-rocket-explodes-after-launch-nasa-payloads-destroyed <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>So it more of a guidance system failure than the ever fickle solid rocket propulsion, thats at least something. &nbsp; Although still leaves the issue on how effective their "off the shelf" approachs to space explotation is. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>So it more of a guidance system failure than the ever fickle solid rocket propulsion, thats at least something. &nbsp; Although still leaves the issue on how effective their "off the shelf" approachs to space explotation is. <br />Posted by neuvik</DIV><br />&nbsp;</p><p>From the article it does not appear that it is known whether the cause of the failure was the guidance system or a hardware problem with the thrust vector control system or something else.&nbsp;&nbsp;It think it is too early to make that call.</p><p>I don't see anything particularly fickle about solid rocket propulsion.</p><p>I would not call this vehicle "off the shelf" either.&nbsp; There was a lot of money put into the developlent work.&nbsp; </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

neuvik

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>&nbsp;From the article it does not appear that it is known whether the cause of the failure was the guidance system or a hardware problem with the thrust vector control system or something else.&nbsp;&nbsp;It think it is too early to make that call.I don't see anything particularly fickle about solid rocket propulsion.I would not call this vehicle "off the shelf" either.&nbsp; There was a lot of money put into the developlent work.&nbsp; <br /> Posted by DrRocket</DIV></p><p>&nbsp;How long does it take to identify what problem(s) lead to the failure? &nbsp; I defiantly jumped the gun supposing that it was a guidance system failure.&nbsp; I was kinda assuming that their hardware, thrust vector control systems, and other systems that might have been tested well enough with their ground tests.&nbsp; I figured the guidance system you really couldn't test unless you actually launched it; but thats not to say that it didn't undergoe some for of simulation thats probably just as good. </p><p> I realise that any serious rocket system is a costly matter involving engineering and design time with rigorous testing. &nbsp; I was just going on about one of ATKs statement that they are using "off the shelf" parts to provide better cost effectiveness. &nbsp; I really don't know what "off the shelf" means in the world of space bound propulsion, but thats what they said. &nbsp; I don't suppose theirs a nifty catalog they get with all the PLCs a company needs to control a rocket is their? heh </p><p>I'm reading Steve Squyres "Roving Mars", in it he sort of expresses a dislike of solid rocket propulsion, so, thats rubbing off on me hah. </p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><strong><font color="#ff0000">I don't think I'm alone when I say, "I hope more planets fall under the ruthless domination of Earth!"</font></strong></p><p><font color="#0000ff">SDC Boards: Power by PLuck - Ph**king Luck</font></p> </div>

<p><font size="2"><strong>Hi neuvik,</strong></font></p><p><strong><font size="2">Yes that is quite some book. I have read it a great many times & yes Steve Squires general fear of solids stems from this incident, as well as Space Shuttle Challenger on 51L.</font></strong></p><p><font size="4">Delta 2 USAF GPS 2R .&nbsp;</font></p><p><strong><font size="2">Fortunately it was not the one before as that one carried Mars Pathfinder.&nbsp;</font></strong></p><p><font size="2"><strong>Andrew Brown.&nbsp;</strong></font></p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

D

DrRocket

<p><BR/>Replying to:<BR/><DIV CLASS='Discussion_PostQuote'>Hi neuvik,Yes that is quite some book. I have read it a great many times & yes Steve Squires general fear of solids stems from this incident, as well as Space Shuttle Challenger on 51L.Delta 2 USAF GPS 2R .&nbsp;Fortunately it was not the one before as that one carried Mars Pathfinder.&nbsp;Andrew Brown.&nbsp; <br />Posted by 3488</DIV></p><p>I don't know the source of Steve Squires fear, but I have seen LOTS more detailed shots of that failure.&nbsp; That failure was attributed to damage to one of the solids that occurred after delivery of the motor.&nbsp; The precise nature of that damage was not found, and several potential causes were identified.&nbsp; That failure does not indict the reliability of solids.&nbsp; It does call into question the handling of them.</p><p>A failure of an interceptor about 5 or 6 years ago was also found to be due to improper handling of the solid motor and in particlular imposition of unnecessary stress on the composite case.</p> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts