ATK train with SRB segments crashes (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

logicize

Coincidence? Maybe not, the international space race is heating up again. Maybe the spy agencies of Russia, China or India are resorting to dirty tricks.

P

PistolPete

From the article:<br /><ul type="square"><p><hr />Following yesterday's news of the ATK train carrying Solid Rocket Booster segments had derailed late last week, information is starting to flow on another crash involving the same train near Alabama today.<p><hr /></p></p></ul><br />I wonder if this isn't the same wreck being reported twice? If the first wreck occurred a week ago and was first reported just yesterday, then it's possible that news of the first wreck could have bounced around from person to person within NASA. Just like in the old game of telephone, key information could have been omitted or changed as it went from person to person, like exactly when the accident occurred, making it appear as though there were two separate accidents. Reporters these days have such poor fact-checking skills.<br /><br />Until more solid information comes in, that's my theory. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

J

jschaef5

Horrible and saddening news. I hope all will be okay for those traveling with the SRBs and the train crew.<br /><br />When is the next shipment of SRBs going to be headed to KSC? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

P

PistolPete

Wow! Two wrecks on the same trip! Sucks to be them.<br /><br />Anyway, with the state of journalism today, can you blame me for being a bit skeptical at first? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p><em>So, again we are defeated. This victory belongs to the farmers, not us.</em></p><p><strong>-Kambei Shimada from the movie Seven Samurai</strong></p> </div>

N

nacnud

Don't know about the number of cases total but there are two flight ready sets at ATK and another in the process of casting.<br /><br />No program delay. <br /><br />From NSF forums.

M

MeteorWayne

That's one of my concerns, S_G. Another is that I heard the segments (or maybe only the one that fell over?) are to be returned to the manufacturer for inspection. Who knows what delay that might add? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

They need to get their finger, question the maintenance managers & thoroughly examine why a similar accident has occured, close to the scene of another in such a short time. <br /><br />Clearly either the track needs replacing or there is a problem with the bogies on the trains being used.<br /><br />This can cause delays & NASA right now, does not need any further hindrance.<br /><br />Andrew Brown. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080">"I suddenly noticed an anomaly to the left of Io, just off the rim of that world. It was extremely large with respect to the overall size of Io and crescent shaped. It seemed unbelievable that something that big had not been visible before".</font> <em><strong><font color="#000000">Linda Morabito </font></strong><font color="#800000">on discovering that the Jupiter moon Io was volcanically active. Friday 9th March 1979.</font></em></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://www.launchphotography.com/</font><br /><br /><font size="1" color="#000080">http://anthmartian.googlepages.com/thisislandearth</font></p><p><font size="1" color="#000080">http://web.me.com/meridianijournal</font></p> </div>

T

thereiwas

Railroad infrastructure is generally in a poor state of repair in the USA. I've ridden Amtrak, and lots of European trains, and the difference is just amazing.

M

MeteorWayne

I agree. Foolishly, the US has let it's rails deteriorate, when it would provide amazing benefits as far as getting some trucks off the road.<br />In a few areas, it could also help commuter traffic. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#000080"><em><font color="#000000">But the Krell forgot one thing John. Monsters. Monsters from the Id.</font></em> </font></p><p><font color="#000080">I really, really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function</font><font color="#000080"> </font></p> </div>

S

silylene old

<font color="yellow">I hear you on the need to question news stories! <br /><br />The first incident in Kansas falls far short of the definition of "wreck", but it is already being played up that way in the media! That kind of derailment happens fairly often to trains at low speeds. </font><br /><br />At least it wasn't a derailment of a car carrying nuclear waste. I can just imagine how that would have been played up by the media! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><em><font color="#0000ff">- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -</font></em> </div><div class="Discussion_UserSignature" align="center"><font color="#0000ff"><em>I really, really, really miss the "first unread post" function.</em></font> </div> </div>

B

bobblebob

Should come to the UK and try our rail network. When its windy, and a few leaves get on the track, trains are cancelled or at best slow to a crawl

Status
Not open for further replies.