Battlestar Galactica 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

yevaud

Please continue your BG discussion here.<br /><br />Trackback to the original thread for reference <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

F

fatal291

Woo hoo I love this show, and no I am not a emo or anything just cause my name is FATAL291.. I'm a regular guy. Anyways I can't wait to see what happens each week.

S

Saiph

"emo" ? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

B

bdewoody

Sci-Fi channel is running an hour long "the story so far" episode which I saw last night. For those of you who haven't watched everything up to now it would probably help you to understand what's going on. I didn't think I missed any shows from last season but it seems to me there is a fairly wide gap from when they decided to settle on "New Caprica" and where it picked up this season. Like what happened to Sharon's (Boomer) daughter?<br /><br />Well I'm hoping some people survived the "Nazi" execution squad and I guess we'll find out this week. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

J

jcdenton

The series producers said that a few characters would be discontinued this season. I think the execution scene is the plot device for this. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

B

bdewoody

Over on the "official" BSG website there has already been some discussion about the relationship between the New Caprica occupation by the Cylons and the situation in Iraq.<br /><br />Personally I think there are too many dis-similar elements for this to have much educational value. No matter what the reasons are why the U.S. got tangled up in this mess I think it is a stretch to see us as oppressors, my gosh look who we got rid of (and his sons).<br /><br />In my opinion lessons delivered in Sci-Fi programs or movies are best done in small doses, this show is beginning to border on being a cheap sex filled horror flick. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

B

bdewoody

New question. Are Sharon's baby and Kara's (Starbuck) baby one and the same? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">Bob DeWoody</font></em> </div>

C

chidave

I consider myself to be one of Battlestar Galactica's biggest fans, however I was very dissapointed with the premier. <br /><br /><font color="yellow"> Sci-fi is at its best when it explores the human condition as we the audience know it to be in the context of the sci-fi vehicle's universe </font><br /><br />Exactly, that was what Battlestar Galactica gave us in its first 2.5 seasons. In this first season, there was an episode where the Colonials tortured a Cylon prisoner, which of course could easily have been tied to the Abu Ghraib prison scandal. However, there were so many other factors that came into play, that you couldn't make that direct comparison. For example, how can you torture a Cylon, they are machines, no wait, they are alive, what is "alive" and these thought provoking ideas go on and on.<br /><br />I thought it was "lazy" writing the way they turned New Caprica into Baghdad. Also, they can download now...how?, the Ressurection Ship was destroyed. There are 50,000 people left, and they are killing themselves, just to make the Cylons..download? It doesn't make sense...It seemed to me they couldn't reconcile the Starbuck-Leoben and New Caprica-Baghdad story lines.<br /><br />Also, the Centurions are not self-aware? Scar was self-aware, obviously the Cylons must have been self-aware when they initially rebelled, and there were not human models then, unless possibly there is a "God" computer. That was another part of the story that dissapointed me.<br /><br />I'm sure it will get better, but for the first time I am not happy with my favorite show. Hopefully it will be just a blip on the radar, and the series will return to its usual excellence soon.<br /><br /><br /><br />

F

fatal291

I saw the review and I knew I wan't the only one lost. I am not a HUGE fan but I am trying to become one, I have seen that season review but other than that I thought Starbuck destroyed the ship that allowed them to be regenereated?.. then I must have missed how from there she became enslaved.. I saw how they left them back on new caprica but I thought he said he was looking for Earth..

S

Saiph

okey dokey now:<br /><br />The ressurection of cylons. True, the ressurection ship was destroyed, however, it's over a year later and the Cylons have probably rebuilt their "network" or whatever, even if it's a small groundbased one. You don't honestly expect that one ship to be the only ship right?<br /><br />Killing humans to destroy reincarnatable cylons seems pointless. Except Tigh points out it is having an effect larger than any other they've managed to garner, either through the destruction of cylons (maybe their reincarnation setup is limited/slow?) or just the "blasphemy" of using human lives that way, or fear of the unknown.<br /><br />Self-aware centurions: The cylons never said they weren't self-aware...just non-sentient. Not necessarily the same thing. Even scar, who showed personality and cunning, didn't have to be self-aware, as it didn't really act far beyond the scope of a skilled predator. My cats have distinct personalities...but I wouldn't call them sentient.<br /><br /><br />I wouldn't necessarily say New Caprica is a direct parrallel to Baghdad. They may be drawing inspiration from the conflict, but they're really only addressing both sides of guerrilla campaign against powerful oppressors. I wish they'd gone a bit deeper (as anvel says, it really seems to be just to hit home the cylons=evil message).<br /><br />For instance, we don't really get to see the power struggle between Boomer and Caprica Six with the other cylons. All of a sudden they're completely impotent..and that's all we see.<br /><br />I think the main reason for this storyline was to show the products of Baltar's betrayals and decisions. He'd made some whopping decisions that had to have consequences of some sort. While he's not the central figure in the episodes, they do pivot around his dilemas. It sorta like how Star wars is about Darth Vader, despite the lack of screen time he got (before episodes 1-3) <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

O

ordinary_guy

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>New question. Are Sharon's baby and Kara's (Starbuck) baby one and the same?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Doubt it. The Cylons have obviously got a decent grasp of genetics and genetic tailoring... so when Sharon contributed her "half" - it would likely carry some her visible and finely engineered traits. By now, I'd assume that her apparent heritage would be evident on the child and it wouldn't look much like Kara.<br /><br />Further, the Cylons have enough of a grasp of genetic engineering that not even the average blood test can detect a Cylon (and they've built machines that are capable of cross-breeding), so there's no reason to think that the kid couldn't be half Kara.<br /><br />OTOH, the BSG producers are good on drama, not so great on technical details so... anything is possible. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

S

Saiph

Right, cylons are indistinguishable from humans unless you use a strange form of radioactive tracer compound.<br /><br />However, they can directly interface with a fiber optic cable jammed up their arm. I wonder how Baltar missed that little feature? Then again, maybe biology isn't is strong suit. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

O

ordinary_guy

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Then again, maybe biology isn't is strong suit. <p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Say that again. He's got Six's biology down cold yet no mastery over his own...<br /><br />Does anybody remember what Baltar's supposed specialty was? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

S

Saiph

in the miniseries he was on a talk show as an advocate for technology, specifically more advanced computers.<br /><br />I think he's an electronics, computer guru. And not just a programmer, but a full fledged designer probably (so lots of quantum and electrical knowledge). Maybe thats why he was able to design a scanner to find cylons...but not just identify some abnormal biological features. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

C

chidave

Saiph, I read your post just before I saw the episode that aired tonight, and I'm glad I didn't have time to respond before it started. because I would have made a complete fool of myself...tonight I thought it was excellent.<br /><br />** Spoilers for tonight's episode are enclosed below...**<br /><br /> My problems with the premiere..<br /><br />1) The Ressurection Ship...<br /><br />It "seemed" as if they have a ground based local system for the "downloads". Not only does that answer the question about how they are downloading, but also explains how quickly the Cylons built the infra-structure to do so. If the "Ressurection Ship" was so valuable, and they could build them in months...why did they not make many of them? Making the download location on the planet, answers that question.<br /><br /> There was also the "interference" from the system that didn't allow the Cylons to download in the mini...(which made me think they couldn't from New Caprica as well)...and the land-based scenario explains that perfectly.<br /><br />Also...and this is just a guess...but did you see Baltar's eyes light up when the Cylons suggested "nuking the city...the Cylon downlaod city) that's perfect. They can be hurt again.<br /><br />2) My problem with the Colonials conducting a "suicuide bombing" campaign against the Cylons, were also answered as well. The Reverand ( Quantum Leap Cylon), explained perfectly why it does hurt them...even if it doesn't kill them. <br /><br />3) Five Basestars in orbit, 15 in a worst case scenario, the Galactica and Pegasus have destroyed 3...the Pegasus held off 3 in a surprise attack...as long as the Cylon fleet is small...it is established already that there is a chance they can win.<br /><br />However, the most important aspect of this episode, is that is drew the viewer back in emotionally, on many levels, at least it did to me. That was the "typical" A++ episode of Battlestar Galactica, and makes me wonder when I turned cyncial and "lost the faith"..albeit tempora

F

fatal291

So um.. anyone want to translate tonights show? Kinda strange/boring IMO. Seemed like they were stalling when they did the whole "1 Hour Ago" thing, was that even needed?

O

ordinary_guy

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>So um.. anyone want to translate tonights show? Kinda strange/boring IMO. Seemed like they were stalling when they did the whole "1 Hour Ago" thing, was that even needed?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />The Wife Unit remarked they were reusing a lot of footage from that sequence... and maybe it's possible they needed to fill. I think it's more likely that they wanted some continuity on what happens, especially the way they set up the cliff hanger with the supposed Cylon firing squad. Heck, if they didn't spoon feed it to the audience, you know at least 40% of them would've been hopelessly confused.<br /><br />Personally, I could've done without it – but I understand why they did it and they probably made the right call. Once past that, the pace picked up admirably.<br /><br />Quick thoughts:<br /><ul type="square"><li>Good on bringing in Boomer's Baby. This added some great dramatic tension – you know it's going to be a plot point in future episodes.<li>...I do have questions about the kid and adoptive mother (wouldn't she be a bit suspicious by now?), but there's only so much time in an episode and maybe we'll hear mention of it later.<li>Good on ADM Adama's speech and tactics (at least what we know of them).<li>Good on the pre-fight ritual on the flight deck. Nice cultural touch.<li>And Baltar's reaction to the nukes was noted – should be interesting. Prediction: Baltar redeems himself (and keeps himself from being lynched) by finding a way to nuke the toasters and help the humans make their escape.<br />Note: the previews have him between a rock and a hard place (again)...</li></li></li></li></li></ul> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

S

Saiph

***Spoilers Abound***<br />but what'd you expect anyway?!<br /><br /><br />The extended "recap" footage from the previous episode helped remind us that Kali ditched the convoy by going down the ravine when freed by ....grrr, forgot his name. She was running through woods when we heard gunfire.<br /><br />However...we see her run <i>up</i> the hill away fromt he convoy towards the rebels when they opened fire to stop the Centurions. She's then tackled by the chief immediately prior to the gunfire.<br /><br />So, I think we've ID'd another toaster. Poor chief.<br /><br />What are the odds that starbuck's kid is a cylon plant? The timing of everything seems just to good to be true from the cylon perspective. Falling at a time to incite guilt, waking up right when starbuck admits to caring for the kid...<br /><br />As for Hera and the adoptive mother...wasn't she informed as to the nature of the child? She was told the kids origins were to be kept very secret...or was she fed a line about the mother desiring anonymity? I don't really remember, and the recap clips didn't mention it.<br /><br />Chidave: Glad my post held up, I coulda looked the fool there. I see you notice the Reverands comments also help explain why the Cylons are getting upset about it. It isn't just a resource issue, though they mention they're spread pretty thin, but because successive downloads are increasingly painful. Wether that's to do with their particular hardware setup, the interference, or the process in general is up for grabs.<br /><br />Also...if their resources are spread thinly in dealing with this small human colony...what the heck are the cylons up to with the rest of their forces? That's likely to be a big plot element later.<br /><br /><br />Last comment, I think the Cylons have some interesting blind spots and double standards. The male cylon...not the black one, not the reverend...what is he called? seems disgusted at how the humans left the reverand to die in such a cold fashion. Doesn <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

O

ordinary_guy

<i>More</i> spoilers...<br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>So, I think we've ID'd another toaster. Poor chief.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I thought about that... but I didn't know where they would've hid her – or they would've released her in exact synch with whatizname releasing her. Plus second guessing the humans would discover the plot, catch up to the point where the trucks would have them "stretch their legs"...?<br /><br />It's possible that it's an elaborate plant... but I'm thinking it's just a continuity error.<br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>What are the odds that starbuck's kid is a cylon plant?<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />Depends on how advanced she is. If she is indeed half human and maybe developed to... a late 2 year old? Then brain development is still progressing and cylon programming would be a bad idea.<br /><br />But then again, how much do you need to control the kid? Just the fact that she's half cylon will sway Starbuck's loyalties. In that respect, she's more of a "tree" than a "plant."<br /><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>As for Hera and the adoptive mother...wasn't she informed as to the nature of the child? She was told the kids origins were to be kept very secret...or was she fed a line about the mother desiring anonymity? I don't really remember, and the recap clips didn't mention it.<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I don't remember specifically... but I do remember watching the episode and I <i>don't</i> remember any mention of the kid's origin. I think it's likely she was fed a "mom wants to remain anonymous" line... which would be getting real thin about now...<br /><br />Maybe mom freaks out, baby goes back to Boomer...?<br /><br />Seals deal with Boomer (either for or against the humans). <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

S

Saiph

I don't think the cylons expected an ambush, in which case "real" kali would be dead from the firing squad, and the replacement would have escaped to tell the tale back home. No problem there. Afterall, if Geata (sp?) is the spy, the cylons don't seem to know about it, and no indication has been given they know about the drop point. So they have no way of feeding the Chief false information that directed them to the execution site.<br /><br />The fact that the "real" kali escaped is also probably a flaw in the cylon's plan.<br /><br />Starbuck kid may not really <i>be</i> her kid, or even a hybrid. Just some jumped up cylon model, or even one of the models we don't know about.<br /><br />Now, I said "real" kali, because if the second one is a fake, the first one may be as well. Though, if that'd true, and Starbucks kid is legit (and thus a hybrid) there now have 3 live hybrid babies... <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p align="center"><font color="#c0c0c0"><br /></font></p><p align="center"><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">--------</font></em></font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">----</font></em></font><font color="#666699">SaiphMOD@gmail.com </font><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">-------------------</font></em></font></p><p><font color="#999999"><em><font size="1">"This is my Timey Wimey Detector.  Goes "bing" when there's stuff.  It also fries eggs at 30 paces, wether you want it to or not actually.  I've learned to stay away from hens: It's not pretty when they blow" -- </font></em></font><font size="1" color="#999999">The Tenth Doctor, "Blink"</font></p> </div>

O

ordinary_guy

Kinda fun, isn't it?<br /><br />Should be interesting to see how it pans out. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

K

kane007

Plus next weeks episode bodes well for the action junkies amongst us. <br /><br />Looks like a real hum dinger of a space battle in the works.<br /><br />Will CMDR Adama disobey orders and bring the Pegasus into the fight at an opportune moment?<br /><br />Will the cylons set off a nuke New Caprica side?<br /><br />Resources stretched thin? Maybe there are multiple insurrections on the old colonies also? The Cylon fleet is stretched searching for the 2 rogue Battlestars.<br /><br />We know (from earler episode) that a Basestar is no match for a Battlestar but that depends on how many Basestars are in system.

O

observer7

My 2 cents<br /><br />Pegasus: This seems like a good time for Pegasus to "disapear" again. Not being at the rendezvous point gets rid of the 2nd Battlestar and Apollo (which may drive Adama over the edge or ...?) It brings Galactica to the forefront again.<br /><br />Kali as a toaster: I hope not (but it is interesting in that it means more cross-breeding experiments taking place)<br /><br />Number 3 and Boomer's baby: Seems that #3 is going to end up with the baby (despite the added security) but this provides more excuses to keep interacting with Cylons after the fleet escapes. They will have to go back after Rosalyn has a vision or something.<br /><br />Starbuck's kid: Starbuck ends up with the kid back on BSG. This opens up the possibility of a trade for Boomers baby in the future (and how will Starbuck react to that??)<br /><br />Baltar: How many times can this guy sell out the human race before they catch on? I really have no idea what he might do (but staying on New Caprica to be the final sucicide bomber, nuclear, wouldn't be a bad idea). Could it be true that Baltar is Cylon? Then he could "download" after commiting ultimate treachery on his true race (That would be interesting, how would the others view it even though Baltar has no idea he's a toaster)<br /><br />I have a feeling that the season break will be here far to fast with still more questions then answers. I want to know what the Cylon plan is because right now they seem to be spinning their wheels a bit.<br /><br />--<br /><br />Time exist so that everything doesn't happen at once. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <em><font size="2">"Time exists so that everything doesn't happen at once" </font></em><font size="2">Albert Einstein</font> </div>

O

ordinary_guy

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr /><p>Seems that #3 is going to end up with the baby (despite the added security)...<p><hr /></p></p></blockquote><br />I got that feeling too. Couldn't have been clearer if Chief walked over and said "Here, wear these red shirts..." <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px"><strong>Mere precedent is a dangerous source of authority.</strong></p> <p style="font:normalnormalnormal12px/normalTimes;margin:0px">-Andrew Jackson (1767-1845)</p> </div>

F

flynn

You really have to watch the Mini-series (2 parter prior to season 1)<br /><br />Do you want a spoiler or are you going to try and get a hold of a copy? <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font color="#800080">"All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring" - <strong>Chuck Palahniuk</strong>.</font> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.