Beginner Scope questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

orionrider

After years of wasting my eyes on binoculars, I happened to cross the path of a 2nd-hand but unused SkyWatcher N130/900 EQ2, same as this: http://www.astroshop.eu/skywatcher-tele ... q-2/p,5013
On the European astro forums they say it is a rebadging of the Synta/Orion StarBlast 4.5".

I know it's not the 6" Dobs everybody seems to recommend, but hey, it's just 95€... :mrgreen:
I intend to use it for occasional backyard playing, not for serious hobby. My area is very light-polluted and the seeing has to be the worst in the world, with frequent overcast. :cry:

I already know a 'goto' is a useless gadget on such a scope, but which other accessories would you suggest?
Is a motor drive necessary? Software, literature, additional eyepieces, better finder, Moon filter, Solar projection, maintenance kit, etc.?
Is there a chance I could piggyback my DSLR on it, or remove the tube and use the EQ2 to take wide-field pictures?
I suppose a T-adapter to mount the DSLR on the scope is wasted money with this flimsy tripod?

Any other advice would also be appreciated :)

C

crazyeddie

It's not a rebadging of the Orion StarBlast. It has a longer focal ratio, which means it is more suitable for higher magnifications. I think it's an acceptable scope for casual viewing. If you enjoy looking at the moon and planets, adding a clock drive might be worthwhile if it's not too expensive. The finderscope looks kinda tiny and may not be very useful, so a bigger one (8x40mm) would be a good investment. Otherwise, it looks fine with the standard accessories. You could do snapshots of the moon with the scope, and maybe of the planets if you add a camera eyepiece adapter and a clock drive, but you couldn't do wide-field deep-sky photography with such a lightweight tripod and mount.

O

orionrider

Thanks eddie :)

The finder is a plastic 'red dot' affair. If it proves to be useless for what I do, I've seen a compatible 6x30 that should do the trick. I don't know if a 8x40 could be fitted.
I will also buy the T-ring and clock drive (costs less than $40). I read on a UK astro forum that it is good for up to 30sec if the EQ is properly aligned.

What (free :? ) software/website would you recommand to find easy spots, like the Messier objects? Or is a planisphere better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts