Bell-shaped constellation

• Thread starter robina_williams
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

robina_williams

Please can anyone tell me if there is a constellation, however minor, that is shaped like a bell?<br /><br />Robina<br />

D

doubletruncation

I guess Corona Borealis is vaguely bell-shaped. You could probably find a pattern that looks more like a bell but isn't a traditional constellation though. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

R

robina_williams

Thank you, that's very useful. Well, how about some stars that form a definite bell-shaped pattern, then? I suppose it doesn't need to be a constellation, but I need a bell-shaped pattern of stars. It doesn't matter how far away it is.<br /><br />May I have further help, please?<br /><br />Robina<br />

T

tfwthom

You are not going to find anything that is officially known as a bell shaped cluster.<br /><br />Take something like M-44 and connect the stars anyway you want to make a bell. NGC 457 was/is known as the "Owl Cluster" for many years. Now it's also called "E.T." we all know the the Greeks never saw the movie so we are connecting the dots a modern way. <br /><br />Just find something that fits want you want and call it anything you want. <br /><br />My wife takes the "Beehive" and shows kids "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer" I see the Playboy bunny logo.<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

R

robina_williams

Thank you both for that help. I think the "Owl Cluster" looks particularly bell-like. That's great -- thanks.<br /><br />Robina<br /><br /><br />

R

robina_williams

How interesting -- I can see two bells now in NGC 457. <br />

R

robina_williams

That's fascinating -- thank you. Please could you refer me to a good illustration of the Crux constellation?<br /><br />Robina<br />

R

robina_williams

Thank you so much for these wonderful pictures. The first one, with the four arms of the cross marked out, is perfect for what I wanted.<br /><br />Thanks again -- and I so enjoy W C Fields' comment.<br /><br />Robina<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts