best classic and modern arcade games

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JasonChapman

A friend of mine the other day asked me why on earth do I play classic arcade games where there are so many modern games consoles about. I do have a Wii and enjoy a go on Mario Kart Wii as well as ghostbusters. But I also enjoy classic arcade games on the mame emulator, asteroids is still a brilliant game, as well as Outrun, I also have the sega mega drive emulator and the SNES one. Starfox is a superb game, I wish they’d bring out a modern version on the Wii.

What’s your favourite games from long ago and today?

A

a_lost_packet_

Hmm.. Well, long ago:

Defender
Stargate (it's sequel)
Galaga
Zaxxon
Tempest
Star Wars (the X-Wing one)

And countless others.. I used to love going to the arcade.

Recently? I don't go to the arcade. :) Uh, guys my age hanging out at the arcades get funny looks... But, on recent games:

Civilization IV (Fall from Heaven 2 Mod w/ Beyond the Sword)
Medieval Total War II
World of Warcraft (Though, I haven't played in about a year and a half.. will correct that soon)
Neverwinter Nights II (It's uninstalled from my system atm.. had to make some room.)
Star Wars - Battlefront II (A guilty pleasure whenever I feel the need for a FPS.)
*added - The Elder Scrolls - Oblivion (Not currently installed but, great game)

That's about all the games I've played recently. Notice, they're PC and not console. These aren't my list of "greatest games EVAR" they're just what I've played recently. For "greatest games" it would take a much larger and more in-depth discussion. ;)

I don't play console games but I do have a PS2. Of the one's I've played, probably "Gladius" is my favorite. Great game. I haven't bought a game in a pretty long time.

Consoles
Gladius
Castlevania! (I had forgotten that one. Best console game.. EVAR! :) )

Here's a flash game that I've enjoyed recently. It's.. addictive. :)

Crush the Castle

N

nimbus

Another world, Flashback, Ghouls n Ghosts... Contra was a lot of fun when it came out.
Scrolling SciFi space shooters were always a lot of fun. e.g.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGNSdcy-apU[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQZuidKexBQ[/youtube]

J

JasonChapman

flash back is awsome and a game I still play on my sega emulator.

G

Gravity_Ray

my favorate old time game is "tanks" from Atari. But now a days I love almost all Soccer games on PS3

A

a_lost_packet_

nimbus":2f5pkfjo said:
Another world, Flashback, Ghouls n Ghosts... Contra was a lot of fun when it came out...

Contra was awesome. I remember beating that game with a friend of mine. After awhile, we mastered it. Those were the days when you could find a game, put in one quarter and play forever if you knew what you were doing.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I was always partial to that one galaga edition, which until recently I had on MAME. (Comp. sweep made it act wackey, so I erased it.)

I had confused asteroids with galaga back when I got the Mame. But 'asteroids' was okay too.

They both came out when I was about 17 or so, and I didn't play video games a whole lot, but I liked those two. Out of those 300 or how-many-ever of those early video games they had on the list, I could only find 4 or 5 that I wanted to play.

But I did enjoy pinball in the "old days", as well as now, with visualpinmame that emoulates all the pinball tables out there. When many of us were kids, the "arcades" were just pool tables and a hundred pinball machines lined up on the walls. That was the way we "got our game on", with a good pt table!

For you other pinball fans out there, go to 'visualpinmame' and follow the intstructions. (It's all freeware.) You gotta make a file for the pinball packet and then files in that for the ROMs, etc etc. But it's cool. I've got over 650 pinball machines, and this isn't 'windows pinball' like you get on your op system.

It's three-d, and it's cool. A giant old pinball arcade at your fingertips. They imitate everything, down to the 'scratchy' sound of one particular table I played on the boardwalk in Atlantic City back in 1975! And they have a few tables from the '30s and 40s before pinball tables EVEN HAD FLIPPERS!!!!

And since most here are Trek fans, they have a great Star Trek 25th Anniversary table that's a good game. At one point, when you lose your ball, Scotty says, "Arre ya daft, man?" When you achieve 'multi-ball', the Transporter activates and everything is "energized". :)

10_stone_5

Gottlieb Cue Ball Wizard --->
"Quit talking and start chalking"
IMAG015A.JPG

K

Kerberos

Frogger and Galaga were both great fun. And Battlezone was pretty cool.

Are there any arcades still around? It seems like they use to be everywhere, now not so much.

S

StarRider1701

Missile Command!!! The best arcade game ever! I also liked Galaga and Defender. For a change of pace, I sometimes enjoyed playing Dig Dug.

At home on my old Sega Genesis, I liked Star Command. I currently have an old PS2 and have a few old style arcade games that I haven't played in some time. No real interest in the new fighting games.

B

Boris_Badenov

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnNthHB0FdE[/youtube]

B

Boris_Badenov

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ga2Dtkg92I[/youtube]

B

Boris_Badenov

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrhNsgboKOA[/youtube]

B

Boris_Badenov

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pgh8pf5xzA[/youtube]

M

Mee_n_Mac

Kerberos":rnmadx8k said:
Frogger and Galaga were both great fun. And Battlezone was pretty cool.

Are there any arcades still around? It seems like they use to be everywhere, now not so much.

Battlezone and Missile Command were my favs back in the day.

S

starsinmyeyes44

Like MW, my favorite was "Centipede."

There's a movie theater we go to here that has classic arcade games and I usually end up playing Centipede a few times before the movie. My children are astounded that their mother is "awesome" at an electronic game...even if it is ancient by their standards.

K

Kerberos

That was fun watching those game plays and thinking it was the eighties again. Good stuff, Boris. :)

J

JasonChapman

cannon fodder on the megadrive, the super star wars series on the snes

D

dragon04

I liked Missile Command, Asteroids and Battlezone. Almost forgot Star Castle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts