Best Mounts Under 1000$

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nexius

I'm in the market for a decent mount but I don't want to spend really over a 1000 dollars. I know it limits me to the higher end stuff, but do you have any suggestions. I was looking at <br /><br />Stellarvue M4 EQ<br />M4S M4 German Equatorial Mount on Walnut Stablelock Tripod. The mount comes with setting circles and slow motion flex controls. Includes the furniture grade, walnut Stablelock Tripod for the ultimate in beauty and stability. Large appleply tray. Mount with counterweight and tripod weighs about 38 pounds. Extends to a total mount height of 61". $599.00<br /><br />Takahashi<br />TG-LM Lapides modified mount W/slow motion controls mounts to any 3/8X16 tripod legs Black standard- Green special order $872.00<br /><br />Meade<br />LXD75 MOUNT & TRIPOD ONLY Full GoTo with the 497 Autostar. Heavy-Duty German Equatorial Mount, Heavy-Duty Tripod, EC FREE SHIPPING $599.00<br /><br />

T

tfwthom

Need to know the weight of the tube.<br /><br />Also would be nice to know what you are planning on using it for. If you are planning on astrophotography you go over kill on the mount. If the tube is 10lbs you get a mount for a tube weight of 20lbs. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <font size="1" color="#3366ff">www.siriuslookers.org</font> </div>

N

nexius

Oh, yea I will be using it for Astro-Photography I am thinking about putting on a 80-100 mm Apo, and possibly a 254mm" reflector in the future, (27.2 lbs.)

D

docm

Takahasi makes good to observatory quality stuff, but that one looks a little 'light' to me & its a mod alt/az. That can be good or bad, but given this looks to be a new mount I'd read the reviews before considering it. <br /><br />TFWThom is correct. Mount overkill is necessary when it comes to astrophotography. No 2 ways about it IMO.<br /><br />Besides the astrophotography aspect and all else being close to equal I prefer the mount with the highest weight capacity so later I can update to a big scope without having to replace the mount too. <br /><br />This has served me well, especially the time I found a 16" Maksutov barrel at an estate sale & bought it for next to nothing; the mount was AWOL, so they looked at it as near junk.<br /><br />The Stellarvue can mount 35 lbs and Meade 47 lbs, so Meade wins that one.<br /><br />Meade also scores with their AutoStar, which most decent software supports..<br /><br />I'd go with the Meade. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> </div>

N

nexius

Gotcha Thanks, Well.. h@%$ should I just pick up the Meade LXD75 Schmidt Newtonion 6" for 1000? well, this is probably the wrong place to discuss telescopes I guess haha, lol then in the future pick up a good apo? or just buy the mount and get an apo.

N

nexius

Today is the big day. I'm going to the shop to pick out a scope woot. woot. It's been along time coming. Can't say what I'm getting yet but i'll definitly make a follow up post when I get back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts