Best N-1/L-3 Soviet Lunar program book

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ambrous

What is the best reference/history book about the N-1/L-3 Soviet Lunar program?

V

vogon13

Best question of the day!<br /><br />(english language book for me please)<br /><br />Thanx!<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><font color="#ff0000"><strong>TPTB went to Dallas and all I got was Plucked !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#339966"><strong>So many people, so few recipes !!</strong></font></p><p><font color="#0000ff"><strong>Let's clean up this stinkhole !!</strong></font> </p> </div>

D

darkenfast

I found a two-volume history of the Soviet program in our library. I think it's called "Challenge to Apollo". The author is Asif Siddiqi (I may have the spelling wrong). It seemed to me to be the best history on the Soviet program that I've seen. No sensationalism, just solid history. Massive work!

D

davf

Siddiqi's book is excellent. I would also recommend the following:<br /><br />1) "The Soviet Reach for The Moon: The L-1 and L-3 Manned Lunar Programs and the story of the N-1 Moon Rocket" by Nicholas L. Johnson, 1995<br /><br />2) "S.P. Korolev Space Corporation Energia: From first satellite to Energia - Buran and Mir"... originally from Energia and reprints now available through Apogee Books.<br /><br />Number 1 is the best of the bunch, IMHO. It is 52 pages with a great deal of pictures along with a useful bibliography if you are interested in extending your reading. It was published by the now-defunct 'Cosmos Books' although every so often, a copy comes available through a second-hand seller. Libraries, ebay, or Amazon may be useful in tracking one down.<br /><br />Number 2 was originally put out by Energia but more recently Apogee Books has picked it up and is publishing it verbatim (as near as I can tell after a quick flip through it) although in a smaller sized format. It doesn't have much in the way of text regarding N-1/L-3 but it does have a bunch of good photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts