big bang/frozen galaxies

• Thread starter instantcoffee4u
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

instantcoffee4u

hey,<br /><br />i was reading the articles about the expansion of the universe after the big bang and how scientists believe the universe will eventually expand faster and faster until we can't see any other galaxies because they'll be moving too fast and be too far away.<br /><br />my question is this: how can we definitively say that the universe is expanding and base this assumption on the fact that photon radiation is visible at the edges of the universe when theoretically, since we're already out of range of hundreds of thousands of galaxies/matter because they are moving at an infinite and exponential light year's pace away from us, the photons then wouldn't be at the edge of the universe, just at the edge of the longest distance we can detect? Maybe they are moving further away from us, but the actual reaches of the universe are contracting/staying the same?

Q

qso1

Welcome to SDC and good question.<br /><br />I'm no expert on this stuff but the expansion of the Universe was established by Edwin Hubble (Hubble telescope namesake) in the 1920s IIRC. This was established by measuring redshifts of various objects within receding galaxies.<br /><br />instantcoffee4u:<br />the photons then wouldn't be at the edge of the universe, just at the edge of the longest distance we can detect?<br /><br />Me:<br />I agree and about all I can say here is that the definition of Universe is not as firm as I had previously believed. I tend to think the Universe is actually an endless void of nothing that galactic clusters occupy. What we see are all the galactic clusters within 13.5 B light years of us in any direction. When we see another galaxy further off, that redefines our definition of the Universe border.<br /><br />It could be that there are collections of clusters scattered throughout an endless void, new collections banging into existence and producing the observed effects of the big bang for any sentient life forms within them. But thats just my take on it and I don't have any evidence to back it. Cosmologists have only slightly more evidence largely in the form of mathematical models to support their theories. <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><strong>My borrowed quote for the time being:</strong></p><p><em>There are three kinds of people in life. Those who make it happen, those who watch it happen...and those who do not know what happened.</em></p> </div>

A

alokmohan

What is frozen galaxy?I heard of frozen star,which is black hole.But what is frozen galaxy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts