Black Hole Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dougum3882

I've read that there are about 125 billion galaxies in the universe and most consist of 100's of billions of stars. But how many blackholes are believed to be housed in each galaxy? How many blackholes are hypothesized to be in the Milky Way?

H

harmonicaman

To expand on member <b>Abhinav's</b> reply...<br /><br />The current mainstream cosmological model indicates that galaxies form around a Super-massive Black Hole. These massive objects at the galactic core likely have the mass of 10<sup>9</sup> Solar Masses and a radius of 3 x 10<sup>9</sup> km, (about the area of our Solar System).<br /><br />Galaxies are also populated by an unknown number of stellar black holes which form from stars that are larger than about 10 times the mass of the Sun. Stellar black holes likely do not reach a mass over 150 times the mass of ther Sun. (Exceptions may be stellar black holes forming near the centers of galaxies which can continue to draw in mass from the surrounding debris...)<br /><br />In my opinion, these stellar black holes make up a significant portion of the galactic "Missing Mass", or dark matter. <br /><br />Super-massive Black Holes page.<br /><br />Stellar Black Hole page.

A

abhinavkumar_iitr05

Thanks for the extension of my answer.The information was really very very helpful & knowledgeable.Thanks for the support.

D

dougum3882

Thank you guys for your replies. I knew that there was a supermassive blackhole at the center of the galaxy and that stellar blackholes exist, but I didn't know how many. I read the link which said that there are about 10000 stellar blackholes near the center of the galaxy, but what about scattered about the rest of the galaxy? Any idea where the closest blackhole is thought to reside?

Y

yevaud

Cygnus X-1 <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p><em>Differential Diagnosis:  </em>"<strong><em>I am both amused and annoyed that you think I should be less stubborn than you are</em></strong>."<br /> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.