Blake's 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kerberos

Why are there hundreds of worthless remakes of old SciFi movies and television shows, but still no remake or movie of the best British SciFi show ever, Blake's 7? It vexes me so. :cry:

W

wildwell

I had never heard of the show prior to your post. It looks interesting though, maybe you should ask that same question on an Entertainment industry forum too? But I wonder if too many viewers would see it as a Star Trek knock-off?

J

JonClarke

Killing just about everyone off in the last episode makes remakes challenging! Especially wthen the only survivor is the one who murders Blake. A prequel prhaps?

The basic premises are too different for people to think it is a ST knock off. They might think it was a Farscape knock off, but Bake's 7 came first (and was much better).

Any remake would have to be able to catpture the strong sense of irony and dry and dark humour that permeates the series.

J

JasonChapman

I read back last year that they were bringing it back. Sky were supposed to be doing a remake. Unfortunately it has yet to appear on our screens, but you know what Sky is like. Remember the disaster which was Space Precinct, it definately sounded the death knell for Gerry Anderson.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7364663.stm

Z

ZenGalacticore

Why all the remakes these days? Whatever happened to at least a grain or two of originality? It seems that the only originality that most remakes possess is the director's own flare or flourish, which often times makes the remakes awful. Stick with what works, ya egotistical bozos! :|

J

JasonChapman

Trouble is, scifi TV is controlled by those who hate new comers, and TV companies are too afraid to make leaps of faith when it comes to embracing new ideas, shows like Star Trek, have been around for decades now and hold an iron grip on the world of scifi. The only shinning light is the internet. Anyone can go online now and create their own scifi shows. Sites like YouTube are giving the budding film maker a chance to put their stuff out there, and you can get quite a fan base if your idea is good enough.
As for Blake’s 7 I don’t think Sky have done anything yet because the Original Formula won’t work today, because it’s been done. And to put together a team of writers and producers costs money, not to mention if it is commissioned creating sets and hiring a CGI production company. To recreate a show like Blake’s 7 using all the modern film making techniques would probably run in to a good few million for the budget. So yeah money would be my bet as to why it hasn’t been re-launched yet.
I was a bit disappointed with the latest Dr Who episode ‘Waters of Mars’ the design of the Martian colony was out of proportion. The biosphere is what you’d expect to find on a colony like that, however the connecting corridors were totally out of proportion. It would expend far too much energy to pump air around a space that size. Small is definitely better, unless you have the resources to create lots of energy.

Z

ZenGalacticore

I think it's more complicated than just that network executives are reluctant to take risks. "Risk" is inherent in free market capitalism and enterprise. No risk, no gain, as they say. And it has always cost a lot of money to put toghether writers, producers, actors, all the equipment, stage sets, etc, etc.

From studying history extensively, what I've seen is that in many cultures, there will be these epic periods of explosive artistic and creative energy, followed by creative atrophy, apathy, indifference, and mediocre banality. The mid-late 1950s thru til the mid-late 1970s was one such era in Western history of dynamic creativity.

Look at what came out of those two decades: I Love Lucy, The Honeymooners, The Outer Limits, Twighlight Zone, Pink Panther, all those great Warner Bros. cartoons, Star Wars, Star Trek, Richard Pryor, Steve Martin, George Carlin, Johnny Carson, Sesame Street and the Muppets, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Black Sabbath, Cosmos, Bob Dylan, Spiderman, Heinlein, Asimov, Playboy even, all the Hannah-Barbera cartoons, the Allman Brothers, Alien, space artists like Bonestell, Hartman, and Miller, the Monty Python troop and Benny Hill, so much high quality, explosive creativity AND originality.

And now, and for the last ten or more years, all we seem to have is rather flat imitators and outright copy cats. I'm certainly not saying that it's all bad, (early "Simpsons" seasons and "South Park" are great) there's always great art to be had, but the energy seems to have dissipated for now. Perhaps we will all live to witness, and be a part of, another creative flowering.

And while youtube is a great idea that can give fledgling artists and film makers a leg up, it also leads to over-saturated over-kill. Twenty years from now, everyone will have their own television station. Like almost everybody is already getting their own website. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts