Boeing Starliner astronauts wave off 1st ISS docking attempt amid thruster issues

I have posted here and on LinkedIn the fears I have for reviving such low progress rate missions where knowledge and its live practice gets rusted, lost or does fade away.
This flight test attempt could have done a few things automated.
Now that we have one great risk remaining namely landing on LAND rather than Sea, we could have at least rehearsed that in automated robotic way before exposing Suni and Butch to that "First"?

Trusting Being on whose planes we fly all the time, for their backup strategies and retrieval of online intime management of split-second contingencies we have saved a robotic mission that could have reduced risks to these brave test pilots.

However there is SILVER LINING, most enjoyable is the video of Suni entering the ISS from Starliner - A Moment of Happiness as someone returns home after a long tiring journey as ISS has been her home.
It is reminding me of a fish being released back into waters where it can breath and live happily.
My best wishes to both Suni and Butch and especially for landing safe on the ground another first!
Thanks.
Ravi
(Dr. Ravi Sharma, Ph.D. USA)
NASA Apollo Achievement Award
ISRO Distinguished Service Awards
Former MTS NASA HQ MSEB Apollo
Former Scientific Secretary ISRO HQ
Ontolog Board of Trustees
Particle and Space Physics
Senior Enterprise Architect
SAE Fuel Cell Tech Committee voting member for 20 years.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drravisharma

Ravi, weren't the first 2 flights all robotic, and didn't they do the Soyuz type touchdown on land?

Frankly, I think it is a good thing to have the pilot be able to take manual control of Boeing automated actions. Remember that Boeing designed an automated flight control system that crashed two 737s due to sensor problems.

Unclear Engineer
Yes you are right. I stand corrected. There was one uncrewed therefore robotic mission called OFT2 with Calypso capsule that did not dock with ISS due to technical difficulties but did land on land successfully.
Frankly it has taken so long with gaps in this contract that any one like me lost track of what all has been attempted.
Thanks to NASA for transferring risks to its astronauts to cover gaps that Boeing should have reduced by more automated tests.

And now perhaps only smaller risk is there for crewed LAND Landing.
Best wishes to Suni and Butch for safe touchdown in California our home for last decade. :)
Thanks.
Ravi
(Dr. Ravi Sharma, Ph.D. USA)
NASA Apollo Achievement Award
ISRO Distinguished Service Awards
Former MTS NASA HQ MSEB Apollo
Former Scientific Secretary ISRO HQ
Ontolog Board of Trustees
Particle and Space Physics
Senior Enterprise Architect
SAE Fuel Cell Tech Committee voting member for 20 years.
http://www.linkedin.com/in/drravisharma

Latest posts