Bolden orders HLV study - Jupiter taken seriously

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

docm

to be ready by Thanksgiving....and it's to include a new look at DIRECT's Jupiter.

Universe Today article....

NASASpaceFlight.com article....

October 21st, 2009

NASA Administrator Orders Study of Heavy Lift Alternatives

NASA Administrator Charlie Bolden has asked for an evaluation of alternative heavy lift rockets, including DIRECT’s Jupiter launch vehicle. The evaluation is a “top priority,” according to http://www.NASASpaceflight.com, and a special team from the Marshall Space Flight Center has been commissioned to conduct the study, with the directive to have a report ready by the end of November. Looking at alternatives to the Constellation program is an apparent reaction to the final Augustine Commission report, which will be made public on Thursday.

The other heavy lift vehicle also to be looked at is the Shuttle Derived Heavy Lift Launch Vehicle, which is a shuttle-based concept with a cargo carrier side mounted to the current design of the external tank. The concept is capable of launching 80mt (metric tons) into Low Earth Orbit (LEO) and around 54mt to the moon.

However sources at NASASpaceflight.com note that the DIRECT team’s Jupiter launch system has dominated early discussions at the Special Team meetings.
>

Jupiter
110__232_sm.gif

Shuttle derived
Heavy-lift.jpg

A

access

I like both options but I have to say that I would prefer the shuttle derived HLV just cause it would be able to happen faster, I think.

N

nimbus

Too bad SpaceX isn't further along for their heavy lifter to be considered.

D

docm

Unless the study group opts for a COTS style competition, in which case a smaller outfit like SpaceX has less corporate inertia to deal with.

Z

Zipi

I'm just wondering why they do not even consider to use 6 CBC Delta 4 rockets for extra heavy lifting, since those could potentially carry 100 tonnes to LEO: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_IV#Future_variants

It is also very weird that NASA seems to always prefer creating own rockets than utilizing the same government launch system as military...

D

docm

N.I.H. = Not Invented Here

plus, at least for the last ~30 years, how else to keep the revolving door with ATK active?

Status
Not open for further replies.