Calling all sky-gazers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eosophobiac

I've been looking at several different online sky charts, namely Sky & Telescope's interactive sky viewing chart, and also the one from SkyMaps dot com, but I'm getting confused (I know that's not hard to do, but bear with me), because some of the constellations are represented differently at each place.<br />What I'm wondering is: where can I find an <i>accurate</i> representation of the constellations? Is there one? Are they all different? Would a book be a better chioce to look at/learn the constellations? Or are they all different as well? Is it pretty much open to interpretation (as it seems)? <br />I guess I was hoping for some consistency, and maybe it doesn't matter as long as the stars and all are where they're supposed to be....<br />Thanks ahead of time!<br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

B

bad_drawing

Hello,<br /><br />I believe all of the different charts you're viewing show the same constellations, but "connect the dots" differntly. Is this correct?<br /><br />I may be wrong on this, but I believe the constellations technically refer to a part of the sky as well as a particular asterism (an asterism is shape or pattern a group of stars make. all constellations are asterisms, but not all asterisms are constellations)<br /><br />I think how to draw an asterism (or "connect the dots") is pretty much up to the chart maker, as long as they use the correct primary stars of the constellation.<br /><br />Overall I bet all the charts you're looking at are correct and show the right stars for the particular constellation. My advice would be to pick the one thats easiest for you to read, and stick with it. If your brain has only one set of asterisms to learn, you'll learn them much more quickly. Soon you'll be looking up and instantly recognizing shapes. Hope this helps!

N

newtonian

bad_drawing - I must say your user name is very appropriate for this thread!<br /><br />I sure hope the star charts are not showing the stars in different places!<br /><br />Good post.

E

eosophobiac

Yeah, I understood the asterism-constellation relationship. I had never really noticed the differences before and was getting a bit confused. Hence the thought: is there a be-all and end-all for constellation outlines, 'source' or 'reference'?<br />After thinking on it some, it really makes no difference where the lines are, as long as I can navigate my way from one area in the sky to another.<br />Along the same subject: anyone have any thoughts/recommendations for a good star chart or sky guide? I've done some looking into this, and want to get some seasoned lookers inputs.<br />Again, thanks in advance! <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

A

alienhunter

H. A. Rey wrote a book about astronomy? That's a surprise! I read 'Curious George' in the beginning of time and of course my favorite was 'Curious George and the rocket'!

B

bad_drawing

Whoa, I did not know that! I'm going to have to check that out for curiousity's sake. I keep mentally picturing The Man in the Yellow Hat with a red flashlight and a starchart (even though i'm sure thats not correct...thats just where my brain is taking me lol)

I

igorsboss

Please indulge my tiny little rant...<br /><br />Star charts should never connect asterisms using red lines on a white background. When viewed in retina-saving red light, red lines can't be seen against a white background. So they are useless in the field....<br /><br />Lines between stars on asterisms should be drawn in green, which appears black in red light.<br /><br />Rant complete. Thank you.

B

bad_drawing

Consider your rant indulged...and I completely agree.

E

eosophobiac

Thanks for the title, eddie. I've been looking for sky references (I'm planning on getting a telescope soon) and I'll definitely look into this one.<br /><br /> <div class="Discussion_UserSignature"> <p> </p><p> </p> </div>

Status
Not open for further replies.