Can anyone share any insight on cost per kg to LEO rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EAK09

Can anyone comment on the accuracy of my two examples below and, hopefully, add others?

----------------------------------------------------------------
Space X
----------------------------------------------------------------
Contract value $1.6 billion (NASA, COTS)
# of launches 12
Cost per launch $133m
Payload 6000 kg
Cost per Kg to LEO $22,222

-------------------------------------------------------------
Shuttle
-------------------------------------------------------------
Annual budget $3b
Ave # of launches per year 7 (?)
Cost per launch $426m

Payload possible 24,000kg
Possible $ per Kg to LEO $17,857

Typical payload 8,000kg (including crew)
Typical $ per kg: $53,571

-------------------------------

Delta?
Arian?
SpaceX current?

I believe that Space X listed commercial rates on its web site last year but since removed them.

Thanks in advance for your input.

J

js117

The accuracy of your Spacex examples may be in question.
This is what NASA is paying Spacex for the cargo runs.
$133m per flight, not Spacex cost per Kg to orbit.
The cost of a Falcon 9 was around $40 m without cargo.

Cargo to orbit is a little low also. from Cape Canaveral AFS

Mass to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) 10,450 kg (23,050 lb) ISS
Mass to Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO): 4,540 kg (10,000 lb

The ISS is in low Earth orbit.

G

gunsandrockets

It seems I'm not the only one who has caught the high cost of NASA COTS cargo missions to ISS. I was surprised by how out of line it seemed with prices quoted by SpaceX for ordinary commercial satellite launches. As I recall, one price I heard for Falcon 9 was something like $1,600 per pound to low inclination LEO.

T

ThereIWas2

The lower price is probably to put your spacecraft in orbit. Delivering your cargo to ISS, in a pressurized container, with environmental controls, and rendesvous, with berthing capability, has got to be higher.

D

dangineer

Some clarification is in order:

First of all, SpaceX has two contracts with NASA. One is the COTS contract (worth about $278M), which is a development contract. The other, larger contract is the Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) Contract, worth about $1.6B. The COTS contract only paid for the development of the system, so should not be included in the launch costs (and nobody said it was, I'm just being clear). The CRS contract is for the development of the Dragon capsule and the use of the Dragon capsule, so this does not accurately depict the cost of using just the launcher.

The cost of using just the launcher for satellite launches is significantly lower than the CRS cost. I've heard estimates of around $40M/launch for the Falcon 9 and $10/launch for the Falcon 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts